Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bees to the Rescue

I solved the fueling issue this morning by eating a couple of spoonfuls of honey when I got up.  And I think it did the trick.  My stomach felt much better and by the time the run started I was feeling like I would have a good workout.  I also ate ½ piece of white bread just before I left.  I find white bread digests very easily and can be eaten before and/or during the run without mishap.

 

Today I chose to do a high aerobic workout and run comfortably hard for 20 miles.  It turned out great.  I felt comfortable, smooth, and relaxed.  The legs felt good and aerobically I felt very good.  I hit a rough patch during the 18th mile.  I experienced an energy drop and my form started to deteriorate.  I no longer felt smooth and was working a little.  I decided to hold the pace until the mile marker and then decide whether to keep going or go for a cool down.  And as they usually do, the low point passed and I was back to feeling relatively good by the time I got to mile 18.  I put the last two miles to bed and was done. 

 

My slowest mile was the first in 7:30 and my best was mile 12 in 6:03.  The 20th mile was done in 6:07.  The rest of the miles were on either side of the final average plus or minus 15 seconds depending where I was on the course.  I felt very good at the finish and walked my cooldown.  It’s always a boost to get in a good workout.  Easy day tomorrow.

 

20 miles – 2:11:37 (6:35 average pace). 

4 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

honey sounds pretty good right now, never thought to take some pre-run though. do you not ever take gu's/etc on these runs?

7/15/2009 11:05 AM  
Blogger Grellan said...

That'some 20 miler Andrew. Mile 20 in 6:07 and allon a half slice of bread and a few spoonfuls of honey - should be close enough to target marathon pace, can't wait for October.

7/15/2009 2:45 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Wow! Awesome mental boost. One to remember when racing the marathon.

7/15/2009 7:58 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Try medihoney from NZ and you'll be running those last miles in 5:30s.

And if you ever get attacked by a bear, you can use it on your wounds!

7/16/2009 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home