Friday, July 10, 2009

Frightened Fawn Freaks Out

It was lecture time in deerville this morning.  At around the 11.5 mile mark I saw a deer and the tiniest little fawn crossing the road.  The mom deer raised its head at me and gave me the stare as I ran toward them.  The fawn was oblivious to my approach.  After of few moments of watching me, the mom deer naturally leaped the ditch and into the woods – expecting, of course, that the kiddo would follow suit.  But the poor thing was startled the mom’s rapid departure and upon observing me took off on its own - up the street and in the opposite direction.  It just kept galloping up the road instead of jumping into the woods.

 

It was at this point that I started to wonder if deer were like bears.  What if I got between the two?  Would I be attacked?  My luck held and I passed safely and I bet the fawn got a stern lecture on the matter.

 

The rest of the run was uneventful.  14.75 easy miles @ 9:10 pace.

2 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

The young deer I came across this morning seemed to have trouble with depth perception. It waited until I was five paces out before it leaped off the trail.

7/10/2009 6:58 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I've got a better one:
"Fearless footrunner fixes fawn's forgotten family 'fore fellow's flatted 'fine Ford F-250".

7/11/2009 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home