Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The numbers don't lie

Today's workout was a repeat of 12/5. This time, no ice but a stronger NW wind. I ran again by feel, pressing into the wind on the way out, and keeping up a steady strong tempo on the way back.

By the time I got back to the house I felt like I had enough. I felt the same way two weeks ago. So when I checked the log, I shouldn't have been surprised to see that I ran an almost exact time and heart rate as I did on 12/5. Still, I'm always amazed at how close those numbers come in.

On 12/5 I ran 1:08:56 (6:32 pace) with an HR of 161.

Today I ran the same course (10.55 miles) in 1:08:37 (6:30 pace) with an HR 162.

Felt good except for mile 9. It's a rough section of road that needs to be repaired. No shoulder to speak of and the traffic sort of 'bottlenecks' here. To top it off, it's uphill and when someone was pulling a garbage can on wheels down their driveway, I thought it was the sound of a dog picking up speed to chase me. I twisted around with a jerk at the sound and it sort of broke my stride and killed the mile. I am glad it wasn't a dog though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

A nice trio over the last three days with the long run, a 15 miler at a steady pace and today's fast 10 miles. If you can keep your head from falling into your oatmeal tomorrow I'd say you're really making good progress with the miles. Nice work Andrew.

12/19/2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Holy smoke! Quite a change from the notoriuos 'Winter of Discontent.'

Mike's comment has me laughing as I imagine the Queen coming down to find you face down in the Quaker Oats.

Keep the fire burning.

12/19/2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Easily spooked or running scared? Must be the lack of light and your blazing speed.

Good Job!

12/19/2006 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, a nice little block of workouts here. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Good running, Andrew.

12/19/2006 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home