Friday, December 15, 2006

The bonk that didn't.

Hah. I should have bonked and blogged, but I got the better of it.

Victorious, I stumbled to the end of my Friday 18 miler, so happy to be done without folding. There was a large question mark this morning before I started. I was tired. The alarm went off at 3:30 but I just laid there - until 4:05. In order to get the run done in time, I need to leave the house around 4:18 or so. This left me just enough time to let one cat out, load the woodstove, get dressed and leave. No coffee, no down time, not awake.

I popped two ibuprofen for lingering soreness and I shuffled out into the dark wet morning fearing the worse. It was last Friday that I found myself 3 miles from home, in pain, on fumes. All at 7 miles into an 18 mile run. So today, I decided, like it or not, I'd run 6 x 3 mile loops to get the 18. A little boring perhaps, but when you run over 2 hours in your workouts 4 times per week, you get used to long periods of lonesome. So I guess it doesn't really matter if I run the same short course over and over. After all, some people run their long runs on a track.

Staying on the comfort loop gives me comfort (no doubt). I'm within crawling distance at all times. And to keep my mind occupied, each time I pass the house I can track the morning progression of the daughters by seeing which lights have been switched on in the house. First, the eldest daughter gets up to read. I think she dreams of reading and wakes extra early to get a few more pages in. Her light comes on first. She'll be in bed, her cat looking over her shoulder, reading yet another story about horses and their adventures. I don't know if you know this or not, but horses it seems, get into many scrapes, overcome daunting adversity, and generally perform good works across the country. Brilliant, helpful, courageous, and kind - the perfect gentleman is an animal.

On the next loop, I see the youngest has gotten up. Her habit is to go down by the woodstove and just sit in front of it for about 30 minutes. (This is why it is imperative that I have that woodstove burning!) She will not stir from this position until she is ready. Ever since her infancy, I have known: Better do what she says, it will be better for you. Luckily, Meg is quite fond of me and treats me well.

But this is not the only house I can keep my eye on during my multi-loop runs. My poor parents live on this loop and I can track their morning progress as well. I love to entertain them with updates on their rising habits. It makes them nervous. Ha ha!

What else is there to do on an 18 mile run, round and round the town, but keep an eye on your relations?

Anyway, while I may have responded, "It feels so good to stop" when asked about my run this morning, I am happy that it went pretty well althought I was tired, I ran slowly, and I managed to get the hiccups. But... no wall, no bonk. It was work but instead of a slog, I felt like I was training and helping my long term prospects. Tomorrow's 10 will see me back in the triple digits.

Training: 18 miles in 2:36:08 (8:40 pace) Low HR of 132.


Blogger Marc said...

Glad you were able to stave off the bonk. I think you are spot on about the training and long term prospects.

If I ever move to Eastport, remind me to buy some curtains.

12/15/2006 1:43 PM  
Anonymous eric said...

*sigh* I need a wood stove. That sounds really nice.

Nice run. Sounds like you're feeling better. Have a good weekend!

12/15/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger Bapp said...

Nice to hear that you seem to be feeling better on your runs. I also use my runs to keep track of people - but my routes are guided by the distance set by restraining orders. Just kidding.

12/15/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Slow and steady finishes the training. Nice job.

12/16/2006 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home