Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The more you train, the more you gain.

So said my 9 year old daughter this morning as I groaned off my shoes after this morning's hard 10. And she is right.

Scheduled workout: 10 miles - Medium even paced run @ 90% MP (7:02 pace). Purpose: Aerobic Resistance.

Results: 10.55 miles in 1:08:56 (6:32 pace). HR 161. Felt great.

I ran today's resistance workout a little fast but I couldn't help myself. I woke up 12 minutes to 4 just raring to go. I at least had some toast and coffee, got the house warmed up a bit, and then I was out the door in the 18F air. The moon was full and bright and it lit up all the ice. It was like having the sun up it was so bright.

Today's workout called for a steady effort for 10 miles and I knew running up and down hills on ice just wasn't going to cut it. So I decided to run out to Pleasant Point along the highway and back. If I ran near the middle of the road there was very little ice. This way I could get the pace down where it needed to be without pulling a muscle or falling down. The only danger was the traffic encountering a determined runner demanding a right of way.

Traffic isn't too bad early in the morning (or any time of the day for that matter - this is Downeast Maine after all) so I had a good feeling this would work out just fine. The only trouble is, I am not sure where the exact mile markers are so checking the pace was not an option. Also, it was rather cold so once I hit the start button, I really didn't want to undo the wrist velcro and get my arm cold just to check the time. So today it was all by feel.

Obviously, my time indicates I haven't a clue how I feel. I suspected I was running much quicker than I needed to be but I felt so good and the breathing was nice and easy so I just went with it. The run out to Pleasant Point was into the wind. Not a tough one but I knew I'd get a benefit by having it at my back on the return trip. So even though I don't know the pace splits, I'm guessing I averaged 6:45 going out and more like 6:15 coming back.

I really enjoyed cruising along, watching the sun rise, and letting my thoughts wander all the while keeping up a pretty good tempo and breathing easy. It is still slower than my goal MP so there's a lot of work to be done. I'd like to be running this effort at a 6:20 pace by springtime if possible. We'll see if the miles will bring it to me.

Another reason for the quicker tempo was the little doubts bouncing around my head about what pace I was actually running. Many times - especially yesterday - I get to thinking that I have a handle on how fast I'm going and then the loop pace split spits out something slower. I'm not disappointed as I realize it's all part of the program. But when I get out there on target pace days, I zip along trying to 'hit' the pace and wind up a little quicker (but still aerobic).

Ice thwarted, workout in the log.

"The more you train, the more you gain." - Princess Madeleine

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice running Andrew. The "quick" days coming easy like this so early must be a good sign. I think you're right about the 6:30's now becoming 6:20's with some more time spent on the roads. You're making good progress.

12/05/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Man, you're flying! Nice job. Your daughter is quite the poet, great quote.

12/05/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

That's one smart little cookie! They are very observant, are they not? We noticed how nice and bright the moon was this morning as well (after the sun came up though). Nice run!

12/05/2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Take a great day whenever it comes along. Great running! I noticed the wonderfully bright moon myself today.

12/06/2006 4:35 AM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Your children are wise beyond their years.

I don't think there is any doubt that the miles will bring the pace to you.

The times they are a changin'

12/06/2006 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home