Monday, December 11, 2006

The waves of fatigue are rolling now

After Friday's bagged run at 10 miles, I followed my rule and took Saturday off. The right leg in the calf area is very tight and needs to be tended. Not only was the leg tight, but I was very tired and felt like I needed to rest for a day.

So Saturday morning, instead of sleeping through my normal training slot, I awoke with all kinds of energy. I don't know where it came from, but at 3:30 I was awake and ready to go. But I have rules to follow so I didn't go out onto the roads, but just sat around twiddling my thumbs. Perhaps I needed only the last 8 miles off from the previous day's run, I thought. But the leg was still very tight and it was a very good idea to enforce the rest.

I got out mid-morning and got the legs massaged. This helped out. The leg isn't so tight now but it wasn't a magical cure. I rested the rest of the day in preparation for Sunday's long run with Mike.

I made it to St. Andrews only a little late, and Mike and I had a nice 4 loop jaunt around town. My right leg was very tight, but more manageable as the run wore on. I think it was because the rest of me started to get weary thus reducing the leg's relative importance in my world of hurt.

By the time I got back to the house, I was beat. The waves of fatigue were rolling strong now and I had to fight off sleep as the day progressed. I'd be up, then down, then up, then down. That 20 miler had me tired. It felt similar to when Marc and I started our first weekly 20 milers a few years ago.

By 8 o'clock I was toast and asleep as soon as the head hit the pillow. But the fatigue didn't abate. This morning at 4am I had a hard time getting out of bed and my 15 miler was an absolute crawl. My leg felt 'ok' but that's about as good a comment it deserves. I'll be dialing down (or deleting) the speed component of this week's workouts so I can get the leg back on track.

Scheduled workout: 15 miles easy. Purpose recovery / volume.

Results: 15.1 miles in 2:15:00 (8:56 pace). Right leg sore. Whole body fatigue washing over me. At one point I considered the desirability of just lying down on the pavement.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Bummer. I can relate to the frustration. Except for me, I think it's more mental than physical right now. Hope you get back on track soon.

12/11/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Quick tip: don't lie down on the pavement; use the side of the road so you don't get run over by the reindeer. Take care.

12/11/2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Mmm. Nap on the pavement. I can relate. Hope you're feeling better soon.

12/12/2006 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home