Monday, December 18, 2006

Wet Wood & The Monday Surprise

Wet Wood

Met up with Mike for the weekly long run at Boyden's Lake. Mike pushed the pace a little early. This had the effect of getting us back to the cars four minutes earlier than usual. 21 miles in 2:46:06. A 7:55 pace, we scooted along watching the beautiful sunrise, enjoying the mild weather, and comparing notes on our respective training. On several occasions Mike would observe our arrival at a landmark earlier than expected. He sounded surprised. Sly fox.

Since I had a captive audience, I decided to amuse Mike with my 'wet wood' theory. I described that burning fat is like burning wet wood. It will burn as long as the furnace is hot. Our supply of dry twigs is limited; our supply of wet wood unlimited. It takes a long, long time to get the furnace hot enough to consume this awful, abundant fuel. But when the cast iron's glowing red, be assured the fuel will burn. It's the peat moss of endurance.

These high mileage weeks keep adding more wood to the coals. Throw the dry twigs on and you get a roaring blaze that quickly extinguishes to charred embers never to be rekindled. But slowly tend the stove, over and over, with constant attention and care, and the heat won't die. It burns so hot, the wet wood ignites like dry kindling.

Safety becomes a factor. Burns, dehydration, singes, and the flush of constant heat dog you. But we adapt and keep adding, adding. Soon, when the time is right, we'll throw the right amount of dry twigs and damp fuel on the pulsing coals for one horrific fire that melts the enamel and produces a marathon PR.

Or so I told him. After listening patiently, he said, "Let's just make it over this hill, shall we?"

Nevertheless, Mike endured my imagination and we made through our 21 miles. Not that he has much choice. There's literally, nowhere to go. Just ask Marc.

The Monday Surprise

Today's workout was a big surprise. I felt great.

Usually, I slog through the Monday recovery 15 as payment for the long run the day before. But not today. I made it through 15.6 miles feeling wonderful in 1:59:19. My HR stayed low at 140 and my pace averaged 7:39.

It was dark the entire run and I thought maybe the fatigue would jump me from behind on some bleak stretch far from the house. Nope. I cruised home to victory. Recovery/volume with ease. Now that is novel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

I like the wood analogy! Very creative and right on. Impressive job on the subsequent 15 mile recovery after the long run. The hay is building in the barn!

12/18/2006 6:59 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

I like the wood analogy! Very creative and right on. Impressive job on the subsequent 15 mile recovery after the long run. The hay is building in the barn!

12/18/2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Poor Mike.

You are defintely going to burn a PR this spring at...B&A perhaps?

12/19/2006 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home