Thursday, December 21, 2006

Go figure

Scheduled workout: 12 miles w/embedded 20 minutes @ 6:05 pace. Purpose: Aerobic Power.

Results: 13.97 miles w/embedded 20 minutes @ 6:04 pace. Tempo HR 172. Felt great.

Last night the blues had a hold of me as my lower body ached - particularly my quads. The gnawing ache of muscles worked hard can drive one mad. There's no relief. Sitting, walking, lying down.

Last night the ache spread to my calves, my knees, and remained in the quads as well. In the middle of the night I awoke to the general discomfort from legs grumbling.

At the alarm, the chorus had quieted somewhat, but the lingering memory kept tolling in the brain. I consciously prepared for 12 slow miles. Hazily, I wandered about the house doing the morning routine: woodstove, coffee, woodstove, computer, woodstove, trash out, woodstove...

I was lacing up my sneakers when I noticed it. An inkling, a hint, that the body was preparing for the standard 'hard' day routine without my permission.

My thoughts kept going over the 'tempo' course. No, that's not right, I'm not doing tempo today. My hands automatically set the 'count down' timer to 20 minutes. No, that's not right, I'm not doing tempo today! I put on as little winter clothing as possible so I could run fast. No, that not right, I'm not doing tempo today!?!

The body was in control, it wanted speed, and it was going to have it.

What could I do? I went out fearing the cry about to come from the legs. No cry. I warmed up for 3 miles at an 8:02 pace. Then my hand reached over, hit the split, and the engine turned over.

Up immediately at pace, all soreness disappeared as the heart did its job collecting and distributing O2 to the waiting cells. The footfalls were light, the arms worked it, and a sense of relaxation came over me.

Surprised, I focused on staying relaxed and let the pace finds its own way. This really helped. I hit the little hill at mile two without any fatigue and no noticeable decrease in pace. By 5k (18:55) I was glad this was only a 20 minute effort, but I cranked up the volume to bring the average pace down just a notch.

Go figure. Did my pace as instructed without pain or stress. These 100 mile weeks are making me loopy.

Finished out the run with another 7 miles or so with Eric at an easy pace.

13.97 miles 1:51:52 w/3.33 miles @ 6:04 pace.

5 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Great run!

You are pretty loopy without the 100 mile weeks - they just accentuate this condition.

12/21/2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

I like the word loopy to describe your running ;-) It really is bizarre how the disconnect between body and mind works some days. Thumbs up!

12/21/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

you're on fire!

12/21/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Rock 'N Roll!

12/21/2006 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing what the mind and body can achieve on its own without explicit permission from it's inhabitant. Good work!

12/22/2006 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home