Saturday, December 02, 2006

Running hard at Sipayik

I am very glad I moved the aerobic power workout to today. I had a good workout yesterday and today I awoke feeling ready to tear down the Sipayik trail. This Saturday's workout is similar to last week's except instead of 3 x 5k, it was 5k, 4k, 3k all at increasing speeds. The Sipayik trail (which is paved with soft tar) was a good choice today. The wind was not too bad, the temperature about 40F, and the weather clear. And to top it all off, Marc is down and joined me on the trail. He did his own workout and we met up at the end for the cooldown.

Scheduled workout: 10 miles w/ embedded 5k @ 6:02 pace, 4k @ 5:57 pace, 3k @ 5:52 pace. 3 min recovery in between. Rest of mileage as w/u & c/d.

Results:

3.1 miles in 18:10 (5:52 pace)

Rest 7:37 (3 minutes is not an option for me just now)

2.5 miles in 14:25 (5:46 pace)

Rest 8:35

1.9 miles in 10:35 (5:34 pace).

Warmup / Cooldown of 3.5 miles brought the total to 11 miles.

I felt wonderful today. When I was running into the wind I would be right on target pace but as I turned out of the wind I would maintain the effort and thus drop the pace considerably for the final push. This time I felt much more in control than last weekend and felt a lot faster. My last mile in the 3k effort was in 5:28. I stayed relaxed and when the legs started to feel weary, I would just press on and sure enough, they just wouldn't quit. I'm starting to see some positive effects of the 100 mile weeks. (I feel enough of the negative effects!)

Speaking of 100 miles, today ended the week at 103 miles. I ran 377 for the month of November.

Marc's knee was feeling good today so he got in a progression run while I did the speed work. We are going to meet up with Mike tomorrow for an easy 21 miles.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job on the hard run. And happy to see that you are seeing real benefits from all your hard work with the 100's. No pain no gain...or is it no gain, why the pain?

12/02/2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

That's a quick workout! Congrats on another 100+ mile week.

12/02/2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

You're smokin up those trails! Hope you saved something for the morning, you might need it ;-)

Just kidding... See ya!

12/02/2006 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home