Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two for One?

Can you get two benefits out of same workout?  Probably not but that’s the way it sometimes feels.  Take today for example.  The schedule called for 2 hrs 15 mins.  Since I did the 20 with the fast finish yesterday, the pace I ran today was at recovery pace.  About 8:44.  It was foggy and rainy and I felt my usual sluggishness that I feel when I run these paces.  The run was all recovery right through the 10 mile mark in 1:29:00.  Then I ran the last 5 at the same effort/pace but this part of the run felt didn’t feel like recovery.  It felt like an endurance workout albeit at a slow pace.  This was especially noticeable after the watch turned 2 hours and I got thinking that two hours in the rain is a long time.

 

Without the benefit of doubles, I can’t run a simple recovery and maintain the mileage.  I either completely recover with a drill workout or short jaunt or I maintain my mileage for the aerobic benefit.  It’s a balance.  My general rule is to keep the effort between hard days easy and if I feel up to it, keep the mileage high.  If I feel like I need more recovery I reduce the mileage.

 

Nevertheless, I recovered today for 10 miles but ended up with a low aerobic workout after I went beyond the 2 hour mark.  This worked well for today since yesterday’s run wasn’t that hard.

 

15.46 miles / 2hrs 15mins

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

i still don't see how you can run 2+ hrs without sustenance. maybe once but certainly not twice in a row. or, maybe i allow excuses of hunger/energy to invade my brain instead of just-running.

i'd like to start running in the am's again but would need to run as early as you, and i'm not sure i'm brave enough for that yet. (in yet another new area and not too familiar with it yet.)

hope the legs bounce back again for you tomorrow.

7/22/2009 1:01 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Woohoo! I was faster than you today (but I only ran 10k).

You could carry a toaster under each arm for a biceps workout.

Seriously though, I think you could call long/slow 'recovery' if you feel fine the next day. Doubles would make it easier though - I note that Nate Jenkins is talking about doubles of 4/4 or 4/6 while he's getting over his anemia.

7/23/2009 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home