Sunday, June 14, 2009

Embedded recovery

I embedded a recovery run into the schedule today to bank the benefits of yesterday's workout. A three hour long run would have set me back, I could just tell. Instead of the long run, I opted for 45 minutes easy. Got in 5.1 miles. Another easy one is scheduled for tomorrow so it looks like I'll get some good recovery running in.

I knew that if I went with the 2 hour high aerobic workout, it would put the long run out of schedule. Two hours at a harder effort are too long to combine with a long slow run the next day. A shorter hard workout the day before should be ok but not these 2 hour runs I like. When the schedule puts these back to back I'll have to decide which way to go. When I wrote the schedule it was with the understanding that I would embed recovery where needed (in addition to the scheduled cutbacks). So far this is my second embedded recovery day. A success for me for sure as my history will attest.

I felt good on my run today. Not much soreness and the run did wonders for this massive head cold I am suffering from. In fact, it was the best I felt all day. My sinuses cleared and I could breathe. Thirty minutes after I finished I was back to my stuffy self. The cloud is so thick I had to take a nap and I'll probably take another later on.

Finished the week at 98.75 miles. My 7 day moving average peaked at 103 yesterday and should drop for the next couple of days as my Monday & Tuesday's scheduled workout time is less than the week before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

curious to know if you formed your plan based off any 'basic structure' from another well-known plan?

i'm hoping to peak at ~100 miles later this year (using daniels), but still very intimidated by the thought of it!

6/14/2009 10:32 PM  
Blogger RICK'S RUNNING said...

That 2 hour tempo run was quite impressive and based on my own training for London you should be on for a good sub 3 marathon

6/15/2009 2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home