Sunday, September 07, 2008

Twenty Miles (just not in a row)

Got out there with Tropical Storm Hanna this morning. Wind and rain. Mostly rain.

By 10 miles I was a drowned rat and I was happy to end the run right there. I thought maybe I'd get out in the afternoon when Hanna moved off to Canada.

When I got home the cellar had filled in the 1 1/2 hours I was gone. I had checked it before I left and it was fine. Funny how quickly things can turn.

Well, after a nice nap after lunch, I was ready for another 10 miles. Rather humid out there and this is the type of weather I don't have much experience with. But I managed fine. I do notice that I run a little faster in the afternoon. The run went by much quicker and I had some fun adding some faster pacing in the final miles. Even went to the arms for the last one in 5:37.

Morning: 10 miles @ 9:10 pace
Afternoon: 10 miles @ 7:12 pace.

The week came in at a meager 39 miles as work got the best of me. Maybe I'll get the better of work next week. One can always hope.

PEI is coming together or coming apart depending on how you look at it. Marc and I are traveling up together as the plans keep changing to keep pace with the torrent of life. While the commander somehow keeps his act together, Marc and I are the blind moose that live up to the name.

Let's see... August reading: One book only - Theory of Knowledge by A.D. Woozley. It was an introductory to the debate between the Truth-as-Correspondence camp and the Truth-as-Coherence camp with a long chapter critical of any sort of dualism in arguments. Sort of dense reading. By the end of the book he had trashed both theories and searched for truth in a different manner altogether. Seemed rather futile.

He had a real obsession with Knowledge needing to be true. When I picked up the book I was hoping that it would be a discussion on the theory of how one knows what one knows. But instead, what one knows was taken for granted and the question in the book was whether what one knows is actually true. Lots of loops and at times I met myself coming out just as I was walking in. This one will have to stew for awhile.

5 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Good work Andrew, hope to get out and do a full 20 with you next weekend. My track record of late has not been too hot.

9/08/2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Great run! Hey, whether you had to go to the arms or not, what a fantastic last mile.

Oh, and by the way,the Theory of Knowledge by A.D. Woozley - it's all lies.

9/09/2008 9:02 AM  
Blogger MB said...

I hope the water dries up soon. Imagine if this was all snow!

9/09/2008 8:59 PM  
Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

The way you keep your training going at such a high level year after year certainly is inspirational. Knowing that your out there in the mornings serves as motivation for me to get out the door. I know you've had some downs ,but you always bounce back strong.

9/12/2008 8:28 PM  
Blogger Ms. V. said...

That book description had my head spinning.

I thought I knew what I knew.

9/12/2008 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home