Friday, May 04, 2007

If I'm to get hit by a bus...

It will be today.
 
I awoke early somewhere in the 3's.  I waited.  But while I was waiting, my leg hurt.  Just lying there it hurt.  Not good I thought.
 
The leg didn't pass the walking downstairs test.  Serious doubts about 18 miles began to scream about the brain like errant atoms in a cyclotron.
 
I put on the heart rate monitor and grabbed the Garmin.  Garmin was dead.  Kaput.  Needs to be sent back to the Orient on the next express.
 
I went out.  It was 4:30.  Before 1/10th of one mile was covered, I was stopped by a growling dog.  Stand off.  I was tired, sore, and out of humor.  Human 1, Dog 0.
 
Made it 3/4 of a mile.  I walked back home.
 
Time on my hands.  Ice bath.
 
Ice baths do not improve humor.  Made myself an omelet with pastrami, ham, and parmesan cheese.
 
Then my little Meg came downstairs.  She read me a story she had written about a very nice unicorn.  It apparently wandered about helping people by administering First Aid to those in need.  I made a remark that, as far as I knew, unicorns were also rushing about the countryside poking people with their horns.  Wrong!  A ready explanation of unicorn horns followed.  They are not used to poke people.  No.  Rather these horns actually double as umbrellas that carry the unicorns into the air whenever they wish.  
 
Maybe I won't get hit by a bus after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Yes, but do unicorns poke growling dogs?

Very sorry to hear about this morning after our upbeat phone conversation last night.

Have you had that massage yet?

5/04/2007 12:21 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

I guess you didn't see that train coming. I was going to warn you, but you never listen to me... So 22 on Sunday? Yeah, right ;-)

Love the unicorn lesson you got.

5/04/2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Arcane said...

Kids are sooo innocent. Alwasys thinking the best of people and things.

5/04/2007 7:31 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Maybe a unicorn can help me in my next race...lol.

5/07/2007 9:44 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Your daughter shares the "Entertainer" gene with you.

5/07/2007 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home