Saturday, January 20, 2007

That was a long tumble

And now for a long climb back up.

Hit rock bottom with multiple days off (2 at a time) over the last two weeks. First the energy, then the leg, then back to the energy. Basically a dual problem of no juice and a hurting quad.

The quad problem comes from running just a little bit beyond myself. Mileage, intensity, bad footing - everything and anything. Comes with the territory, part of the sport.

The debilitating issue has been the energy / no snap / so tired issues. And this I think comes from an accumulated sleep deficit. This is an economic issue. I work, therefore I can't sleep. Or rather I train, therefore I can't sleep. But it's never, I train, therefore I can't work. Because then it'd be I train, therefore I starve.

Anyway, operating on 6 or less hours of sleep a night to get up and hit the roads at 4am catches up with one. I can go for awhile then it all falls apart. But hey, I'm human, I'm cyclical, and I peak. I sometimes peak at the wrong time, and sometimes I peak at the right time.

I kind of suspect that I gave myself a little peak there in my training. Perhaps I fell victim to 'training to train' as opposed to 'training to race'. I mean, I wanted dearly for that Parrott predictor to indicate progress and even '2:45:00'. That way I'd know I was zeroing in on the goal. I got the indicator alright. Funny how I went bust right after.

Peaked. Running those Aerobic Power workouts a little too agressively.

But what better way to learn than by doing? Also, you don't lose everything, and you gain quite a bit in the process. So a couple of weeks down through forced recovery is something we all have to face now and then. It's what comes after. Now there's the question.

Thanks to all who commented on my last post. You've probably noticed that I can swing disastrously from a euphoric super-potential runner to a grumbling has-been with just a few bad workouts. But that's my crazy way. Luckily, the lungs don't know how to give back all the aerobic improvement, so once I'm back in the game, we're ok until the next fall.

Training today: 10 miles. 8:15 pace. 141 HR.

5 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Whew! I was afraid you really did fall off a cliff into the ocean and were carried out to sea on an ice flow, like that sad polar bear they keep showing on tv.

Are you ready to rumble in the morning? You'll need all your layers and then some...

1/20/2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

One thing I like about Lydiard's approach is that right about the time the third "7" stops next to the other two on the slot machine you head off into the hills three days a week, which forces you in a new direction before going over the edge.

I hope you're being a little overdramatic with the whole peaking and climbing back to form thing. Hopefully it's just a matter of figuring out just how high you can set the volume knob before the neighbors start knocking on the walls and dailing back a little.

Hopefully a good run with Mike tomorrow will offer some solace and clarity.

1/20/2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ryan Hall had a good quote after his 59:43 half-marathon the other day:

"I know where my edges are."

Well, to know where they are, you have to find them first. Like you said, no long term harm done. At least this way you know you're not being too conservative! Good to have you back again. Take care.

1/20/2007 7:05 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

I wouldn't be surprised if you come out of this stronger than ever. The mini-rest period over the past two weeks probably allowed for some good muscle regeneration. Good luck man!

1/21/2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Yup. You will once again rock. No doubt.

1/23/2007 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home