Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I couldn't do it after all.

Legs had no snap this morning as the workout fizzled early but not after giving it a try.

Scheduled workout: 15 miles w/embedded 7k/5k/3k ladder @ 6:20 per mile. 30 minutes even pace (80% MP) prior & 10 minutes @ 80% MP in between. Purpose: Aerobic Resistance.

Results: 15.09 miles in 2:04:46 including pit stop. (8:16 pace w/134 HR) Here's the breakdown:

Step 1: 30 minutes even pace @ 7:59 per mile. Had a hard time even doing this.
Step 2: 7k @ 6:26 per mile. Couldn't hold a steady pace - all over the map. Too fast, slowing, pick it up, slowing. Ugh.

At the end of 7k I used the 10 minute break for a pit stop at the house. I realized that I wasn't good for tempo today so I called off the hard stuff and ran the remaining 7 miles easily around 8:30 per mile.

This means I need some more recovery. I will cancel the rest of this week's tempo and run recovery pace until next week - where I will repeat the program for this week. The combination of a good training week last week and a new found sore throat is taking me down a notch. The first rule is reduce the speed component of the intensity chart.

So it looks like I'm on easy street until next Wednesday. Still doing the daily mileage, but at low aerobic / recovery paces to get the legs back.

Tomorrow: 12 miles easy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Hey, that's alright...you haven't had an off day in a while, and you're training smart. This will give you a chance to recharge mentally and get even more hungry for next week.

1/03/2007 7:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Sounds like a logical plan. Best of luck while the engines get warmed back up.

1/03/2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm in awe of the attempt.

1/03/2007 9:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Last time this happened you bounced back quickly, so I'm not too worried. While this looked like a hard workout, it sounds like you were tired from the get-go. Better to realize it early, repair the damage and keep going.

1/04/2007 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home