Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's a gruel, gruel world

Someone let the air out of the 2006 balloon as 21 miles of slippery footing made today's long run a little bit of slog near the end.

21 miles in 2:54:56 (8:19 pace). HR 137.

I pulled up behind Mike's parked van this morning in the dark gloom of pre-sunrise. Mike emerged dressed for the weather but also fitted with the darkest pair of sunglasses I've ever seen. I doubted if he could even see me. So I called out to him, "Mike, you're wearing sun glasses!" "I know," he replied. "I expect it to be a sunny day."

Mister-plan-ahead.

We were rewarded three miles later with a blinding glare from a large sun towering over the maritimes and reflecting its rays off the crystal bay which further disoriented me. Mike didn't seem to mind it at all.

Elwood and I continued bravely into the light and snow.



We felt ok until we made the turn at 9 miles. The wind had picked up and it would be 9 miles into the cold, cold wind before we could turn out of it again.

With 5 miles to go, I felt like I was just a head riding precariously upon a body and legs that were carrying me around the lake. Mike used the term "falling forward" which seemed appropriate for today.

But the run is done and in the log. It cannot escape.


Happy New Year!

5 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Elwood? That's a good one. Boy, I'm glad that run is in the books.

12/31/2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Ha ha ha, funny! Glad you guys had a good run. Hope your retinas recover as quick as your legs.

12/31/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I am picturing little bobbleheads of you and Elwood running around the lake - very funny indeed.

Happy New Year!

12/31/2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger unstrung said...

great blog. very inspiring to weakling slowpokes like me. =)

peace and many happy, comfy runs...

-fretless

1/01/2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

All the best in 2007!

1/03/2007 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home