Monday, January 01, 2007

Day one. The blender.

My first of the year run was not like Lydiard Mike's, a jolly jaunt on recovered legs cruising sunny climes at 6:40 per mile. No, no. Mine involved tired legs, a crawl pace, ice on the road, ice falling from the sky and some good gusts of wind. Up past my bedtime last night, I was beat before I went out and got beat up while I was out there. Fifteen miles later, I was pitted silly from the sleet, rain and wind. 2:24:17. (Avg HR 131) Today we endured Downeast Maine's standard winter fare.

It took all day, but I am finally glad I did the workout. The legs are feeling much, much better. And the weather got steadily worse all day. It was good knowing as I sat warm indoors, that I had already been out and completed my work. Another shovel of coal in the furnace.

Tomorrow is going to be so nice. A recovery 10 miler! I love these.

Training: 15.3 miles in 2:24:17. (9:25 pace). HR 131. Rain, sleet, ice, wind. The truest of slogs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

You're a much braver man than I am. I thought the freezing rain today was too much where I was, so regretfully, I stayed in.

1/01/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

As you've told me, it doesn't matter how you get 'em done. :)

In contrast, we've actually been having beautiful weather for the past couple of weeks. Mind you, we deserve it!

1/01/2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger Banking Miles said...

Sounds pretty nasty. It is amazing to me how much of mother nature that you have to deal with on a regular basis during your runs. I think that the training sounds tough enough, much less having to do it in tougher weather conditions. Spring is around the corner right? (Sounds just like the phrase "your almost there" heard often during mile 10 of a marathon.)

1/02/2007 12:37 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

It's no wonder I'm feeling better than you when most of my runs these days are half as long, on clear roads and under sunny skies. Oh, and no hat or gloves needed. Oh, I almost forgot the scones afterwards.

You're in the trenches while my running as of late has been more of an "easy desk job." I'll be griping soon enough though.

1/02/2007 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home