Sunday, November 19, 2006

Well that was tough

Another 21 miles of fun out along the shores of the Passamaquoddy Bay and then in along to shore of Boyden Lake. But this time Mike was trying to kill me, or at least it felt like it. My right calf started talking around mile 11 and it made for some gingerly ascents up the hills. At least it felt better coming down. The silent mile came early for us as we both ran into a tired, fatigued state of being early on this morning.

To be expected, really. Finally up to 100 miles and I'll start feeling the love with each and every workout until I adapt. That's the trouble with those good workouts during the climb - they're all on relatively fresh legs. At least now the weekly mileage will plateau and it won't be long before the monthly mileage will be a plateau as well.

That will be new. During my last two marathons, the graphs for the monthly mileage totals look high mountain peaks with Wineglass' mountain towering over Holyoke. This time, I want to have the mountain look more like a butte. A nice flat top representing a long consistent run of high mileage.

The weather this morning was cold and I was slightly underdressed. I wore shorts when I should have worn pants. I did wear gloves and a winter cap however. The wind was out of the north and we ran into it for about 10 miles. When I came home I took a hot shower and didn't even bother tempering it with cold.

So far I have taken two naps today.  Fortunately, if I may be permitted to say such wicked things, my youngest is suffering from some bug going around the school necessitating frequent lie downs on the couch. So all I have had to do is lie down beside her for a chat and cuddle and I drop off like brick thrown into the ocean!

She's up now eating some toast.

I've iced today and will do some more later. Keeping tabs on the aches and pains.

21 miles in 2:50:25. Average HR 139. Average pace 8:07.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Still a great time, even with tired legs! Nice going! I like the mountain analogy with the high mileage.

11/19/2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Who's trying to kill who? I beg to differ. That ice-cream is going to taste some good!

11/19/2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I told you that you've got to be real careful around those Canadians, but you just won't listen.

11/20/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Been following your training and am impressed how well you are holding together.

The ice stuff does get me concerned a little. As in, is there an underlying problem that will eacerbate some day into a giant mushroom cloud and blow your 24-week training to bits?
signed, cautious

11/20/2006 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home