Thursday, November 16, 2006

No wind, no rain, no problem

Scheduled workout: 12 miles w/embedded 20 minutes @ 6:05 pace (104% MP). Method: continuous pace. Purpose: Build aerobic power.

Results: 3.1 mile warmup @ 9:30 pace (HR 133)
3.42 miles @ 5:59 pace (HR 168)
5.4 mile cooldown @ 9:22 pace (HR 136)

Total 11.92 miles in 1:40:28 @ avg 8:26 pace.

I was very worried today that I would not be able to run the scheduled pace for 20 minutes. Last Tuesday's rain & wind run really had me struggling for (and never reaching) the 7:02 pace. So it was quite understandable that today's 6:05 pace, if even for only 20 short minutes, might seem a bit out of reach. But I underestimated just how much the weather really slows you down.

This morning the weather was warm, the air misty, and there wasn't even a breeze. I shuffled out the door at 5:15 and decided to run today's workout in three parts - a warmup, fast run, then a cooldown. Someday I hope to be able to throw the fast portion of the run into the middle of a medium effort and then just back it back down to medium effort (in fact I think my program has a workout like that in a few weeks) but not today.

My warmup consisted of 3.1 miles with a stop back at the house. I finished out the warmup by jogging 3/4 mile to the top of the High School hill where I would begin the fast run. I designed the course much better this time with very few turns. This was easy to do since I would only be cooking for 20 minutes. The course was net downhill (but not by much) and some good straights. As I approached the start I was still very nervous about what to expect.

I shouldn't have been nervous. Nothing like speed to cure confidence problems. From the beginning I was cruising nicely at what I felt to be the appropriate pace, if not a little too fast. Unfortunately, I didn't know where the mile splits were on this course (I'll have to correct that) so I couldn't check the pace. If I did know I would have slowed slightly to conform to the program.

Nevertheless, I was surprised at how quick I felt. Just a few minutes ago, I was worried, and tired, and sluggish, and you name it. Then all of that just disappeared as I got down to today's purpose - building aerobic power at a pace slightly better than MP. Knowing the run is only for 20 minutes, really helps me out. It allows me to relax and not worry about the pace so much and just fly. At one point (at about 18 minutes) I lost concentration and my pace dropped. But I caught it up again and paced out the last 2 minutes. I was glad to be done.

I jogged to the house, got some water, and went out for the cooldown. Very pleased.

2:45 report: Good dose of speed today.

Wreckage report: Ran too fast. Will mark the miles for the next time so I don't max out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

"today's purpose - building aerobic power at a pace slightly better than MP."

While 6:05 pace is slightly better than the 6:18 pace needed to run 2:45, aren't you really "only" in about 2:57 shape, maybe a little faster, based on Wineglass?

I'm curious if you foresee a problem with training with goal paces in mind rather then where you're currently at?

Also, do you just drop from 9:20 warmup pace to sub-6 pace or is there a gradual progression?

11/16/2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Hi Zeke,

Actually, I consider myself to have 2:45 speed but not distance. This is based on other indicators. So I can turn and burn paces at the lower end of the distance spectrum but not at the high end. My 2:57 is a true indicator of my marathon ability all things considered - especially my fuel economy. But I chose 2:45 specifically because that's the time I should be able to run if properly trained given my current speed. So I'm ok so far with training at paces relative to goal pace currently. Of course this might change with my weekly assessments so there's my escape - evaluation. So nothing is in stone, but I need to start somewhere and I'm not shy.

And yes, I just drop the hammer

11/16/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Interesting comment, Andrew.

I enjoyed the 'drop the hammer' line, too.

11/16/2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Sounds like a great workout! This weather is nutty. Tomorrow should be interesting.

11/16/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Thanks for the info. On my blog, Ryan recently asked if I was shooting for 2:45. I basically said no because I didn't think I could drop 14 minutes in 8 months. I'll definitely be follow along to see how it goes for you.

11/17/2006 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home