Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Training Update

Sunday: 17 miles in 2:20:53 w/Mike & Marc. A great run. Can't do better than their descriptions on their blogs. But they did leave out that they had to listen to me obsess about trains and wrecks.

No run Sunday night. Very sore.

Monday: 11.2 miles in 1:30:58 HR 144. Easy run felt good until last .2. Right knee complained when pace increased. Not seeing enough progress in the recovery department so I pulled the plug on the double.

Wreckage report:

All during the day the knee was fine but the pain was replaced with the same 'twinge' from Friday. Responds to Ibuprofen. This morning I feel fine. This tells me that the on the intensity menu I need reduce the frequency of my runs. Looks like I need 24 hours between workouts even though the 2nd workout is very easy and very short.

The evening run is now dropped for this week and I will add this component more slowly to the mix as the program progresses. Looks like I just can't recover enough in 12 hours yet. A real shame since I was hoping to receive the rewards of the increased volume without significant strain on the muscular or skeletal systems. Not to be. Even an easy 30 minutes is shaking the train and threatening a derailment.

I have to keep my eye on the priority workouts - the high mileage singles. I can't get there if I'm crumpled back in my prep weeks (week #4 down here if anyone cares). Now we know why we do prep weeks and the weekly evaluation.

Frequency: 1 per day (moderate intensity)
Speed: Easy (low intensity)
Time: 90 minutes / 60 minutes (moderate intensity)
Distance: 11 miles / 7 miles (moderate - low intensity)

2:45 report:

Pockets of ease creeping into workouts. Smooth running, running below capability. Not tired at end of workouts or sore except for the niggles. General soreness dissipated.

3 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

I see sparkles of hope after all for you. my advice is to use the time you slotted for a double run and use it to cross-train. Get out there and walk, bike, skate or whatever. Then gradually introduce the second run when your primary run becomes your smooth and easy. Shoes okay? Good luck

11/07/2006 6:38 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I always thought instantly adding double runs every day was a bit mad, but figured you had to come to your own conclusions. I'm glad you reconsidered before you got injured.

11/07/2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

every move you make is analyzed. I love it.

11/07/2006 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home