Friday, November 10, 2006

Low Coal, Weak Steam

Ran low on steam this morning at mile 4 of a proposed 18 mile run. Chugged home with a final hisssssss as I pulled into the train yard. I open the coal door and what? I must have forgot to fill the bin. I was empty.

Bagging a run invokes my rest day rule, so for the 2nd week in a row, I get Saturday off. I'm going to start suspecting myself of some slacking here before long.

My error this morning was getting out the door before I was ready. I have spoiled myself in recent weeks with getting up at 4am and sitting around having coffee, snacking on toast, and generally waking up slowly. This morning I was out the door with half a cup of coffee, no toast, and no leisure time. Well that didn't work.

Besides injury, or perhaps along with injury, there's no more debilitating feeling then running low on fuel. In some respects it's worse than an injury in that it affects one's motivation. You just don't *want* to run. Whereas, a sore muscle merely frustrates the runner, no fuel eliminates the runner.

By mile 4 I could think of all kinds of things I could be doing other than running. Instead of imagining myself winning yet another marathon, I was imagining all the things I usually do prior to the run (check blogs, send emails, listen to music, read etc.). So it wasn't difficult to decide that another 12 miles beyond the 6 I did would not be a good idea.

So now that I got home early, I settled in with some coffee and blogs while the sun rose outside without me. Depressing yes, but rest is rest. I'm am very glad however, that the legs are beginning to behave and allowing me some greater efforts out there. Sunday, I hope to run a long run with Mike. Then on to the program.

Looks my ascent to triple digits is taking me a good while. Oh well. I have to do what the body dictates. Keeping the balance between "too much too soon" and "too little too late". With prior convictions of each of these, I hope to add the crime of running a 2:45 in May.

Wreckage Report: Train slid to a stop at mile 6 today. No steam. Taking a day to stoke the fire.

2:45 Report: 61 miles for the week. Legs and joints are feeling good. Limited use of ibuprofen now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Bummer about running out of gas. It happens to the best of us. No doubt you'll rebound strong very soon, you're too good of a runner not to.

11/10/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

the whole running in the morning thing is difficult that way for me. I'd have to get up at 4:00 so the body could wake up and, at this point anyway, I'm avoiding that in favor of running at other times. However, that's going to have to change eventually.

11/10/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

If I'm running in the morning (rare event) it takes at least 45 minutes to get all systems primed to go. Time better used sleeping, eh? Better luck next week. Cya, 630 Sunday. Ha!

11/10/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Legs and Wings said...

4am is a great time to get started. I'm of the same mind...get an early start.

Thanks for the encouraging words on my blog. We will cross at Calais. I plan to stop in and say hello. Thanks!!

11/12/2006 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home