Friday, November 03, 2006

Red Flags Waving

Looks like I'm repeating prep week #2. Just not strong enough. A slight twinge in my inner right quad mysteriously appeared this afternoon on my slow 30 minute jog. The trouble with twinges in the inner quad is you can't run when it's "twinging" (or walk for that matter). So I'm pulling the plug on tomorrow to let whatever I bothered to rest and heal. And that means repeating the week to get the green light to proceed.

Not even a hint that I was going to get this one. My most recent complaints have been some slight left foot soreness and minor aches and pains here and there. I am hoping (and expecting) that I'll be feeling fine tomorrow. But caution is the rule in the ascent.

Too bad too. I was really looking forward to getting on with the program. I have some specific workouts that rotate on a multi-week schedule on the quality days. These different workouts will keep some of the boredom at bay and keep me on working hard. Alas, not yet.

This morning's run was really good. I was out for 90 minutes getting in 11 miles. The sun came up for half of the run, the weather was cool (32F), and I felt very relaxed. This afternoon's run was ok but the the after effect is a red flag.

This reminds of this old book called "Tootle". It's about a young train learning the ropes of trainhood but gets distracted by the beauty of the surroundings. He is always breaking the number #1 rule to "never leave the tracks". He can't help himself and rolls in the flowers, sits by streams and whatnot. Eventually, the trainyard personnel start suspecting Tootle's been wandering off the tracks and they devise a plan to get him "back on track". Luckily, one of the earliest rules a young train learns is to always stop for a "red flag waving". So all the people hide in one of Tootle's favorite fields and when he tries to get to the flowers a red flag suddenly appears waving. Tootle stops and tries a different direction only to be thwarted by yet another red flag waving. Everywhere he turns he's confronted with red flags waving until back toward the tracks he sees a green flag waving. Relieved, he gets back on the tracks and all is well again and all the people cheer.

Another repeat week - coming up. All aboard.

3 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Nice story. Hope you have some green flags by Sunday. I had a similiar problem today with my hip going out midrun. Out of nowhere too!

11/03/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Perhaps this cooler weather will help numb up the quads. Hope you have a solid return back on Sunday.

11/03/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger MB said...

good 4 u in understanding the concept of rest

11/06/2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home