Thursday, October 12, 2006

The longest two weeks

I hate rest.

It must be done. I've got to come down from my peak. I've got to recover from the effort on 10/1. It does more damage then we'd like to admit. This has been noticeable on some walks I have taken. I'd be feeling fine then suddenly feel a twinge in the quad. Lingering effects. Well, if I'm going to be running hard through the winter to break into 2:45 come May then I need to arrive at training camp ready to train.

This foolishness will end Sunday night. Monday - we're good to go. Unfortunately, it's only 30 minutes! I feel like I've gone bonkers and completely gone to the other side of caution. But I'm committed. This will be done right. Stress, rest... repeat. Two weeks of unstructured - which, by the way, I mean no mileage, no route, no pace, just running for the time assigned. No doubt, running easily will produce a basic average pace kept during these two weeks, but that's alright. The important part of these upcoming two weeks is assessing the body for injury and bringing it online for the time on course required for the training by the end of the two weeks.

There are three significant changes from the last training cycle. I have considered all three and believe that I am ready to do them and that with successful completion I will achieve my goal. They are:

1. Training is extended. This change, while appearing rather inevitable given the fact my next race isn't until next May, still needs to be mentioned. My history is one of start and stop. So to be successful with this change, I need to pay attention to what makes training sustainable. --Recovery--. Recovery pace: learn it, use it. Mileage trumps intensity in marathon training. Fuel economy is job #1.

2. Doubles. Running twice a day is not new for me but this time it has a specific purpose - volume training through recovery running. This cycle, it is limited to 30 minutes daily at recovery pace. It is not to be used to break up singles or harder workouts. It is purely supplemental to the morning core workout. It should contribute to the benefits derived from high volume training and caloric throughput. It should not contribute to fatigue or stress the system beyond standard stress from volume. I did not run doubles the last cycle due to the limited time I had to train. I felt the added stress would not iron itself out in such a short time. This time, I have plenty of time to gain the benefits.

3. Specificity in training. My hard days are scheduled specifically to adapt the body to run MP for long periods of time. Using Lydiard mileage guidelines and Canova's suggested workouts I have arranged a rotation of specific workouts specificly designed for training the body to run MP for a long, long time. It all comes down to fuel economy at MP.

Stress, rest. Repeat. ~123 miles per week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

123 miles a week is awesome. I hope to ramp up to that someday! Best of luck.

10/12/2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Well-thought plan, I can't argue with a word of it. When I think of you out there first at 4 am with the headlamp, then again after work before dinner I'm guessing this will take a big commitment. You sound motivated enough, and with the addition of the doubles, more intensity, and more race specific pace work I think you will get stellar results.

10/13/2006 8:25 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Judging from this post you are serious with the 2:45 target. Good Luck!

Are you planning on doing the other Lydiard phases this time, like hills, speed and coordination?

10/13/2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Nice new picture. Is that from your recent marathon?

My opinion is you are being delusional from a post marathon high in planning what's next. I will let others urge you on; but I will caution you and challenge you to stick with such high aspirations.

2:45 is in your capability! But, such a long program, scheduling, WAF, etc. are a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

Mediocrity is something you will need to change and recommend only bite off what you can chew.

10/14/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I accept your challenge.

That picture is from the last marathon. Just before the finish.

10/15/2006 4:22 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

I'll have to keep a close eye on your progress. Your dreams are pretty close to my own and we're running close in tandem with our progress. Only, my winters aren't quite so harsh down here in New York! Should be interesting...

10/17/2006 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home