Monday, November 20, 2006

If running's my mistress, then my log's a daisy

And it reads like this:

Su She loves me
M She loves me not
Tu She loves me
W She loves me not
Th She loves me
F She hates me
Sa She ignores me
Su She loves me
M She loves me not
Tu She's thinking about it
W She loves me not
Th She loves me
F She loves me still
Sa She thinks I'm awesome
Su She hates me
M She's trying to kill me

My hand trembles as I reach for tomorrow's petal, a 20 minute fast progression run.

Today's run was like wading through mud. 15.1 miles in 2:16:25 or a 9:02 pace. I had the full body fatigue thing going. I was so tired. My muscles were ok and I didn't experience any pain. But talk about a drag, a slog. At least the weather was nice and like I said, no pain. My comment in my log: really sluggish, wx cool, felt ok maybe.

This is where it all starts and where it all can end if one is not careful. The make or break zone. I call it the 100 mile syndrome. Once the climb is over, the goal is to make every day the end of 100 miles for the preceding 7 days. I constant mileage plateau. For obvious reasons (and some that are not so obvious if you've never been here) there is a real sense of fatigue built into each run that doesn't dissipate very quickly. The body finally adapts and then responds with faster times and increased stamina. But until that happens, it is a chore not to just say "let's take a break". And it's only been 3 days.

What's it take, 23 days to make a habit? Well in 20 short days I should have the fatigue beat. I've been through this before - just last August as I ramped up over 100 for the 5 weeks prior to Wineglass. It just takes time and commitment.




4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

The daisy analogy is really funny, I laughed out loud (not a smart thing, I'm in the office).

Let's hope your mistress doesn't injure you in the next three weeks. You've been quite aggressive in your mileage increases, no wonder you're knackered.

11/21/2006 4:31 AM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Oh she loves you alright, she's just being coy.

11/21/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Hang in there, tommorow will be a better day or maybe you need a little break. Good luck with the flowers.

11/21/2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Your mistress is a bit of a tease. But you still keep her...lol. I love the analogy. Thanks for the smile.

11/25/2006 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home