Thursday, September 21, 2006

(Running) Harder Easier

Ah, so this is what happens when I reduce the miles. I run faster with less effort. Hmmmmm.

More sleep, less miles. Lovin' it.

Today I awoke at 5:30 and went out to the local Irving Mainway for some coffee. Hung out and chatted with friends, came home and put out the trash, tidied the house and then I went for a run. All this time. What to do??

This morning's 50% workout called for 6 miles at high aerobic. I felt great the whole way, running a two loop progression with the last 2 miles just under 6:00/mile. The first loop averaged a 6:40 pace and the second a 6:06 pace.

I lost about 5 - 10 seconds on mile 4 (split 6:22) when I thwarted an ambush by some deer of prey. The lure deer was on the left side of the road as I was running briskly up the rise. It's head was tilted and the big wide doe eyes staring at me benignly in a sort of inquisitive manner. A harmless little ol' deer just wondering what the runner is doing. Hah. On the right side of the road was another deer hiding behind a tree waiting for the moment when I would enter the trample zone and then together they would run me down in a flurry of flying fur and feet!

They have almost succeeded a few times in the dark when I've stumbled into their trap. Their snorts and the trampling sound of hooves on pavement can really put the scare into you. But today, just as I was swerving right to avoid the bait deer, I spotted the killer deer and I stopped short. We all stared at each other, me swiveling my head from one deer to the other. Finally, they knew the game was up and they trotted peacefully away. Whew!

6.1 miles 38:54 (6:23 avg pace) HR 162.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Geez, I thought I had it bad with coyotes. Sounds like at this point in your training you could have outrun them anyway. Glad to read you're feeling good.

9/21/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh good. I thought I was the only with a healthy fear of deers. I jsut can't get this article out of my head. Paranoid? I think not.

Nice job on the running!

9/21/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Better to see deer on the road during a run as opposed to driving. :-)

Great job with the fast times!

9/21/2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Killer deer, what next? Can't have an attacked by a deer excuse for not running the marathon. Crazy fast paces there too, it'll be fun to watch next weekend.

9/21/2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Nearly attacked by a pair of killer deers. What next?

9/22/2006 4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home