Friday, September 08, 2006

Up 5 Minutes Early - Out 15 Minutes Late

A bit foggy this morning - both outside and inside my head. Today is the ever looked forward to weekday 18 miler and that means an extra early 'rise 'n shine' time. I've been giving myself about 45 minutes in the morning to get myself going. You know, padding about the house, patting cats, drinking coffee, sending emails etc. On top of this, I also pad the "time necessary" to complete the scheduled run by giving myself a 9 min/mile pace. I run quicker than this but it allows enough time for unscheduled stops, some extra tenths of miles, and other time consuming activities that may occur on a run. Therefore, my departure time for Friday's 18 miler is 4:15am. This allows 2:45 for the run and gets me back to the house by 7am. So if you're doing the math, I awake at 3:30am on Fridays. Ugh.

But it is so much better than when I used to roll out of bed and onto the road - especially for these longer runs. I bonked often. Now I have found that giving myself time to wake up, have some toast, drink coffee and basically lounge, I run much better. This morning however, I somehow couldn't get it together. I awoke at 3:25 without the alarm and then proceeded to procrastinate my way to 4:30. Luckily, my running was on its usual pace and I got back to the house on 5 minutes past 7.

I was motivated to do the run, but I my thinking matched the pea soup outside. The fog was so thick, I almost step on two skunks this morning. Neither of us aware of the other before our near collisions. The fog inside this morning was unusually thick as well. I got tapping on the computer and the time just drifted away. Nevertheless, the run is done in its entirety and I also got to run with Eric for about 7 miles of the effort. It's nice to have company on 18 milers, no question.

My left lower shin hurts a little from this morning. I've iced it and taken ibuprofin. I will ice it some more tonight.

18.3 miles in 2:34:09. 6 x comfort loop.

2 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

The Energizer Bunny/Rabbit/Hare just keeps on his amazing run of runs. Getting up at 330am is just, well... nuts! And you still find time to blog? I'd be asleep at my desk!

9/08/2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I'm the complete opposite in the morning. I'm out of the door 20 minutes after the alarm clock goes off, and I'm definitely expecting to run close to 8:00 pace. I try to squeeze every last minute of sleep out of my time.

9/09/2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home