Saturday, July 08, 2006

Still Coming Around

The training is still progressing. Today I was able to do a 10.4 mile single run. The leg felt good until about 6 miles, got a little tight, then loosened back up at 8 miles. Pace = 8:04.

I've been following a 3 on / 1 off program to get some structured recovery in. I'll progress to 4 on / 1 off next week at some point. Today's 10 mile single represents my first double digit run since May 13th. That is 8 weeks ago! What a hole I've been in. The hardest part of injury is the psychological impact of not being able to get out and run with the same abandon as before. Worse, when you do get out for some limited work, the struggle isn't as rewarding as before and now you start to dread the next attempt. This cycle spirals deeper into the abyss of low expectations and a greater value starts to be placed on alternative pastimes (sleeping).

I've been running consistently for the past two weeks with every 4th day off and it's been working out. I got in 65 miles last week and ended this week with 37 due to two additional days off. One scheduled, the other unscheduled. The workouts have been going well with some quality and easy runs. I am hoping to move forward from here and do more 10+ mile runs on a consistent basis as I build my single miles back up to where they need to be.

I've got to cut this post short as I've run out of time. I'll try to post more often as it seems that I have more to share but I end up forgetting half of it by the time I get around to typing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Good to see you posting Andrew, and I hope the leg continues to improve. Seems like many have the summer blahs right now, be it weather, injury, motivation, or some combination of all three.

At the end of the day hopefully there is still a deep love for the run there, even if it doesn't make its way to the surface quite as often due to circumstances beyond our control. Keep at it.

7/09/2006 7:22 AM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Hey Andrew! Nice to see you're still kicking. When are we going to start up those Sunday runs again? Keystone to the training, right? Drop me an email...

7/09/2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Sounds like your training and psyche is coming around-atta boy- you can do it! Just slo and steady it will take time, but before you know it those eight weeks will all be history.

7/10/2006 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home