Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Diary of a Taperist - Day 3 & 4

There's not much in life more dull than then musings of a runner during the taper period.

I can barely stand it.

It is worse when the runner is also trying to recovery from an injury. The runner requires sympathy - which most are willing to give. Yet he doesn't let up. His complaints continue; he continues to dawdle. Worry and anxiety, mixed with periods of delusion, are the mainline emotions. Fears of becoming slow, never (ever) recovering, losing all that training, and other nonsense clog the synapses. He occasionally becomes determined - but to do what he is not sure. Should he be determined to get out there and run a few miles - stretch things out? Or should he be determined to just let things heal, take their course, not upset the delicate balance? Conflicting thoughts embattle the runner:

"The work is done, rest up, keep a full tank."

"The small stuff matters."

"Either you have the training or you don't."

"Race day conditions can severely impact your performance."

And to top it all off, if the runner keeps a blog, he cruelly lures decent people to read his drivel. For this he apologizes. And having thus properly prefaced this combo entry of the Diary of a Taperist Day 3 & 4, I herewith proceed with more typed taper talk.

The good news: When descending stairs, I no longer have acute pain in my quad. The bad news: My entire right leg is aching similar to a Rheumatic predicting an approaching rain storm. (It's sunny out just now - so it appears my barometer's broken).

I've been busy doing all the proper taper chores:

1. I've made my training plan for the Fall marathon.

2. I've selected my summer races.

3. I've dissected, chewed, memorized, crumpled, and finally burned my log as being inadequate for any real improvement.

4. I've thought pleasantly at how fast I feel when I'm running.

5. I've had deep concern over my ability to run fast.

6. I have re-created my log to go over it one more time.

7. I have read and re-read all the news reports, webcasts, broadcasts, podcasts, and comments on the Boston Marathon and the London Marathon.

8. I have focused on my game plan.

9. I have try to forget I have an upcoming race.

10. I have buried myself in work.

11. I've stared disconnectly out my office window at Canada. (Canadians, by the way, have a most awesome pizza joint called Pizza Delight - which seems to be where my gaze rests most often. When I think 'Canada', I think 'Pizza Delight!')

And it's only day 4.

6 Comments:

Blogger Garou said...

I know how you feel - I'm (thankfully!) almost done with my taper period. The race is Saturday, and I swear, if it were one day more than that, I would tear my hair out in frustration - or, at least, go on a nice, long run to burn off some of this nervous energy that's bubbling inside me. Hang in there - I'm told that it pays off in the end.

4/26/2006 4:39 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Hmmm, being in a reverse-taper myself during the post-marathon recovery period have little to add. Hope you survive ok ;-)

4/26/2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey this tapering bit sure has got you blogging more often. That's what happens when you are not running enough to keep your mind quiet. I know the feeling lately.

4/27/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Legs and Wings said...

Pizza Delight...now you're onto something! Tried the Broadway Classic with the hot oil?

I hope your old leg stops complaining so that you can get out there again and enjoy extra long lunch hours (at Pizza Delight).

4/27/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger D said...

Tapering SUCKS......

4/27/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

You will survive....

4/29/2006 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home