Monday, August 31, 2009

Back for the final push

Had a mid-training dip there coinciding with a hiking excursion up Mt. Katahdin here in MaineMt. Katahdin is Maine’s highest peak at 5267 feet and is considered a pretty rugged climb due to its remoteness, long approach, elevation gain, and steep ascent.  I went with my father, brother-in-law and two nephews.  We went up the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail which (for northbound thru-hikers) is the final 5 miles of the Appalachian Trail – Baxter Peak of Katahdin being the trail’s northern terminus.  There was one thru-hiker at the top who had finished the Trail that day.  He had left Georgia (Springer Mountain) on May 4th.

 

We had a beautiful day with low temps and bright sunshine.  I still managed to get a sunburn but nothing like my last trip up four years ago – so I consider it a success.  The loop was 9 miles but I managed to get 13 by running the two miles from the Hunt trail back to Abol to get the car then hiking a mile back into the woods to meet up with them to hike the final mile together (I descended a bit faster than them).

 

Needless to say, my quads were very sore for two days following so I didn’t run.  But today I was only slightly sore so I put in 90 minutes and got 12 miles for the effort.  10 @ 6:58 pace and 2 miles to cooldown.  Felt good the whole way but the calves have tightened up now so I’ll have to pay attention tomorrow to how they’re doing.

5 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

I was hoping to see a photo of Maines tallest peak. Nice accomplishment and one on my to-do list.

8/31/2009 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Ernesto said...

Sounds like a great hike! I have hardly been in the mountains at all this summer, and I miss it. Funny thing about your calves - I did a long run to close on the heels of a race recently and strained my right calf. And I think it was the result struggling through a run with post-race-tight quads and hamstrings. Does compensating for quads and hams force a lot of extra work onto the calves?

8/31/2009 7:54 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Beware the quads-destroying mountains!

9/01/2009 6:56 AM  
Blogger Trevor said...

I love the Katahdin hike. My last time there, a few years ago with a group camping, two women afterwards felt so wiped out that they needed to hop in their Honda Civic to get to the bathroom from their campsite - a distance of about 100 meters.

9/01/2009 8:01 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Sounds spectacular.

Yes, Thomas is the Quad Master!

9/03/2009 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home