Monday, August 10, 2009

The Null

The newest phase seems to be a series of peaks and valleys.  Today I ran a short recovery run of 3.1 miles @ 7:31 pace.  Felt pretty good and wished the run was longer.  But I was resting the legs up for tomorrow’s 8 x 800 workout.  Yesterday, while nice and easy, the workout was still hard on the body because it lasted over 3 hours.  So a longer run this morning would have jeopardized tomorrow – or so I think.  Hopefully tomorrow will go well making these lower mileage weeks worthwhile.

 

This week’s hard stuff will be Tuesday and Saturday.  Saturday being a 5 mile road race.  Easy running in between.

 

Yesterday was a special run because Mike and I were joined by Trevor out of Fredericton.  It was a rare instance of the Canadians outnumbering the Americans during a Blind Moose run.  Trevor’s first 20 miler and he did great.  Things went swimmingly until the end.  I wasn’t really paying attention but there appeared to be some sort of discrepancy between Trevor’s Garmin and Mike’s Garmin.  Mike was the more liberal of the two calling for our run to be over a tenth or more before Trevor’s Garmin said so.  But Trevor force marched us into the void until his Garmin said we could stop.  I have no idea how far we went. 

 

In case you’re wondering, according to my watch, which is a $10.99 Rite-Aid special, the run had gone into overtime 24 minutes prior.  If only they had listened to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

20.22 by my instrument... That was as pleasant a 20 miler as you will every get. Only missing the chocolate balls!

8/10/2009 4:31 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Ah yes, the $10.99 watch. No wonder China is catching up to the States.

The "Garmin Wars" reminds me of my sometime training partner. She insisted on running until the Garmin read an additional .01.

Good luck with the 800s. 2:35s would be good.

8/11/2009 2:13 AM  
Blogger Trevor said...

I'm sure 20.22 miles was correct. The same scatter brain qualities that cause me to forget my water also cause me to forget to start my watch. It was a great run.

8/11/2009 6:12 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i'm surprised you don't have an advanced piece of technology on your wrist.

i just caved and bought a 405.

8/12/2009 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home