Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Slinking Home

Horrible x 800's

The Bad

I couldn't hold any speed today. The first few yards were good but then the legs just felt tired and tight and I couldn't handle the lactate that not only filled the legs but seemed to get into my gut as well.

I didn't even do the 8 required - bailing out after #6 when the right hamstring gave a little twinge similar to last Tuesday. Even so it was almost welcomed. Had a poor moment of actually being glad it twinged since I'd have to stop. Then I thought maybe I just imagined it, but I didn't.

The course - something wrong with it. What is generally just an annoying rise (right in the middle) during my normal workouts seemed to be a mountain during the 800. The length - is it long? The times were horrible for how I hard I worked - particularly on the first one. After that things just kept going downhill.

The Good

I still got a proper workout in. Regardless of the time or length or small rise the legs filled with lactate and that was the whole point of the run. Doing 6 instead of 8 only represents my lack of speed conditioning which is why I doing the workouts.

It also confirmed that it was alright to start doing these workouts 9 weeks out from the taper - I will need that long to get through this phase and reap the benefits. Especially since I'm only doing one per week.

So this was speed work #2. Got me a little concerned about my race plan on Saturday. I'll have to be careful not to overdo it in the first mile or two since I really suffer from early lactate buildup.

2:42 / 2:55 / 2:54 / 3:04 / 2:58 / 3:11 w/90 seconds jog/walk in-between. 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.

5 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

sounds rather frustrating - choose a different course next time

8/11/2009 12:42 PM  
Blogger Grellan said...

Those sort of 800's should not be a problem for a man of your talents. Maybe 4 or 5 would hjave been enough to start with. Sounds like you just had an off day.

8/11/2009 4:05 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Would it be worth the drive to the trail with the measured mile and 1/10ths? Accurate and flat at least. Have a great race this weekend. I'll be watching for the tweet while traveling.

8/11/2009 7:21 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I agree with Mark - if you want good times, find a flat (accurate) course.

Not sure if you have high def Google Earth maps where you are, but the 'tools, measure' feature of GE is extremely accurate on flat courses (it measures the 100m straight at the AIS as 100m).

Anyway, good luck on the weekend - hope the hammy does the right thing.

8/12/2009 5:28 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

doing these on 'regular' terrain gives you extra mental toughness knowing you can conquer the hills, but doing them on a flat service feeds the confidence (with the consistent/faster times) which also helps obviously... maybe switch it up every now and then?

8/12/2009 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home