Monday, August 24, 2009

No Vacation Goes Unpunished

Vacation was too hot.  Running was not pleasant.  Now work is crazy.  85 miles last week:

 

Monday:            0

Tuesday:           20 @ 6:59 pace

Wednesday:      10 @ 8:52 pace

Thursday:          15 @ 6:38 pace

Friday:              10 @ 8:44 pace

Saturday:          20 @ 7:14 pace

Sunday:            10 @ 6:42 pace

 

Felt sluggish, heat is too much (yes, I know, I don’t know what heat actually is).  These are the worst days for running for me though.  Suffering since last Saturday’s race.

 

Speaking of the race:

 

The bad – felt horrible from mile 2 on.  I carried a small water bottle with me to help with the heat.  It didn’t help.  No speed, I was drained, and I lost one place at mile 5 – ending up in 6th in 29:40.  Ran most of the race a few yards behind a competitor, neither gaining or losing.  I wanted to close the gap but I was just hanging on.  I hate just hanging on.  This race was almost a carbon copy (time & place) of the last time I ran this race over five years ago.

 

The good – the five in front of me were the usual suspects that usually finish in front of me.  I wanted, of course, to have a better showing and finish with them but it was not to be.  The winner’s time was near the time I was shooting for.  Which means that the heat must have got to the top five finishers as well.

 

I think I need a string of cold days to make me feel better.  I haven’t had the urge to run hard for over a week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Two good 20 milers in there Andrew.

There are those who say heat is like altitude training - there's a 'bounce' when you race at sea level (in the cool).

At least you haven't slowed in 5 years! By the way, I'd swap our -1C today for a few of your 35C days.

8/25/2009 6:13 AM  
Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Hope to see you around Andy.

8/25/2009 2:39 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

the heat is a beast. sure it doesn't get quite as warm up there but it's still warmer than you're used to, so milk it while you can. definitely sounds like the heat was a big factor in the race if the speedy guys were slower than usual too.

still a good week!

8/26/2009 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home