Monday, January 29, 2007

Dear Garmin,

I have a complaint. Ever since I got this Garmin for Christmas, I think the radio waves are killing me. I cite the following evidence:

Week 1: 83 miles
Week 2: 77 miles
Week 3: 27 miles
Week 4: 26 miles

Last week's 53 miles threatened to be a dead cat's bounce if I hadn't willed myself out of bed this morning and literally attacked my 15 miler this morning. How is it I run my little heart out for an 7:36 split? Yes, yes, the wind chill is negative 14 and headwind is relentless for 8 miles. Yes, yes, the cold Atlantic chops it's spray all around me, the ice covers the road, it's pitch dark. But are you sure this device is safe?


*****************

Dear Hallmark,

Just a short note to let you know I have ripped out the month of January from all your calendars in my possession and those of your competitors. Unless you improve the quality of this month, I will no longer acknowledge this month in my year. For years, (years!) I have suffered through this stupid month. Yes, that is right. Each and every January I suffer the January blues when the temperature drops below zero and my motivation to run goes through the floor. Then, of course, let's get injured. I mean why not? It's JANUARY after all. Might as well have some pain in addition to the blah blue freezing cold no motivation doldrums.

I haven't had a good January since I started running. So no longer will I purchase your product if you insist on including this frightful first month. I am moving to an 11 month calendar. Thank you.


**********************************

Dear Marc & Mike,

What'd I do without friends like you to keep the fire burning? Great friends pull you through. Back on track. What a good weekend running up Marc's Farmington hills.

Run.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

you mean I could have written a letter and gotten rid of November. DAMN!

1/30/2007 12:36 AM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Andrew - Your 15 mile run on the heels of Sunday's run and your long journey back to Eastport is quite impressive.

You should redirect your letter to Hallmark to Nuna Pompilius. He is the one responsible for adding Januray to the calendar in the first place around 713 B.C. Those pesky Romans!

Anyway, keep the fire burning, we are almost done with January and its ill winds.

1/30/2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Ha ha, funny post! I got a good laugh out of that. Unfortunate events though, but glad to hear they are seemingly by the wayside.

Really bummed I missed the chance to run with you guys this past weekend. Next time for sure.

1/30/2007 4:35 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Could you have a word with the creator of the Parrot predictor? I've been getting slower week after week since you gave it to me!

Amazing you got that run in Monday; I can still hardly walk. Great weekend!

1/30/2007 9:11 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Add my sig to the letter Andrew. January is for the birds.

1/30/2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

An 11 month calendar is a fine idea. However, I'd suggest we also remove August so those of us in the desert South West don't have to endure the over-powering heat.

1/30/2007 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home