Saturday, October 07, 2006

Nothing At All

That's what I'm doing. Nothing at all. A mandatory two week rest period which is driving me nuts. At times I think it unwarranted, then all of a sudden, a full body ache envelopes me crying out for Motrin. It's best that I be patient but sometimes it's hard.

Like this morning. I awoke to a beautiful sunrise and a strong desire for a run. Any run. Just something simple. It probably wouldn't have hurt anything but I just don't know. Later on today I walked to my parents' house to tend the dog and my left quad was slightly sore from the walk (2 miles roundtrip). So I am reminded that the proper thing to do is get my complete recovery.

Enter my 33 week plan begun October 2nd.

2 Weeks Rest
2 Weeks Unstructured
27 Weeks Training
2 Weeks Taper

Race 5/20/07 Sugarloaf Marathon

So far I'm on plan.

Some random notes on Wineglass:

Oddly placed water stations. Unless I had my math wrong, they showed up in a 3 mile / 1 mile / 2 mile pattern. I couldn't figure it out. But then again my mind was on other things. The longest I had to go was three miles which worked out perfectly fine. I don't like to take on water in consecutive miles so there were some water stops that I didn't take anything.

I finally learned how to run and drink at the same time. Step one, pour out excess fluid. Step two, squeeze cup into funnel. Step three drink. Of course, I couldn't maintain my pace but it worked better than all my previous marathons.

Here are the splits combined in 5 mile increments: 34:51, 33:47, 33:39, 32:13, 34:31. As can be seen here, my 4th 5 mile "loop" was a little too agressive and paid for during the last.

Here are the splits combined in 3 mile increments: 21:06 / 20:35 / 20:10 / 20:20 / 20:06 / 19:33 / 19:17 / 20:20 / 21:45* - *extrapolated equivalent 3 for the final 2.2 mile split. These splits show a steady progression run (except #4) until the final 5 miles. Each reduction in time seems to be reasonable or at least not too shocking. Using Kiplagat's comment of 30 second faster splits each 5k, this pattern fits in pretty close until the last two splits.

Intuitively, it seems reasonable that 30 second spread splits (faster each time) is a valid approach to marathon racing. I didn't mean to follow such a plan but since I did, my problem lies right there at mile 21. I can't race 26 miles. The good news? It can be fixed.

Theoretically here (and this is all hindsight etc..) I should have been able to run split #8 in 18:45 and #9 in the equivalent of 18:15 or a 6:05 pace. This would have made my time about 2:53:00. Interesting.

With all this time on my hands I have been dreaming, reading, scheming, planning, talking, emailing, searching, and eating running. Everything except actually running. Only 8 days to go.

6 Comments:

Blogger Neese said...

i've never heard of a plan with an introductory 2 week rest, that's interesting. be sure to pamper yourself with some massages, warm baths and dark chocolate snacks, oh sorry got lost in my own dream rest period!

10/07/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey, the resting worked for that Sell guy. Glad to see you working the numbers all possible ways with the time you have on your hands. 27 weeks should give you time for one hell of a build.

10/07/2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Sugarloaf Marathon, eh? There's a chance I might be running that one as well (depending on my best friend's wedding plans). Something is telling me you've already read it, but in case you haven't, you might want to check out Bernd Heinrich's book, "Why We Run: A Natural History" to help pass the time.

Hope the recovery goes well.

10/07/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Hey, with that time you'll get a great number at BOSTON!! Huh, huh? (grin here)

Now remember if you're not going to run to not overdo it on that woodpile and drop some large piece of oak or maple on your foot!

Happy recovery and look forward to BL!

10/07/2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I'm glad you're actually resting this time, in marked contrast to what you did after your last marathon. 2 weeks is a long time. I'm planning on doing the same after my marathon, but I don't know yet if I can stay off the road for so long.

10/08/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger MB said...

How about toeing the line at Boston in '07?

What's the matter your '05 DNF sent you running scared? Wait, ever finish Boston, have your medal and BAA certificate?

You are now a sub-three hour marathoner. That entry time will get you seeded in the first wave and possibly one of the first three corrals.

btw, smart play on your post-race marathon training, I am very glad to see you learned a lesson from post-ROC.

10/08/2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home