Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Quick 10

One of the benefits of the Lydiard program is the varying of distances and efforts each day. Today the schedule called for only 10 miles. After running 22 on Sunday and yesterday's sloshy 15, I was ready to run short. The schedule also calls for the runner to up the pace a little for this run and I was ready to do so this morning.

I ran Eric's course which has several pace killing hills due to their abruptness, but overall, I was able to keep a steady pressure on. I think I ran the later miles a little quicker than the early ones. As I was running along, thoughts wander to things like, "If this is MP, then I'm in trouble." The purpose of these workouts is to increase the pressure on the aerobic system at paces that may or may not simulate marathon racing. I don't try to hit a target pace (although today I did hope for 7:00/mile) but rather go by feel and confirm it by heart rate.

It is funny however, that even though the pace seems a little quick, just knowing the distance is much less than the long days makes it easy to continue. And then there's remembering that when the marathon is on, I won't be running on tired legs. I was very pleased that I was motivated to run harder this morning. Generally, I go out with a shuffle and find my stride later on in the run. But last night I was anxious to get in this workout and was even tempted to run a double - but I didn't. I'm not making that mistake. Looking forward to the next workout is a strange new experience. A general dread is the most common feeling - but to be replaced with a "bring it on" attitude, that's a nice change. I better get this race over with before it all fades into a dream.

Speaking of looking forward to the next workout, near the end of my run I got to thinking how nice tomorrow will be to run slowly for 15 miles instead of the grueling 10 I found myself involved in. The way this schedule is arranged, the next workout just has to be more comfortable then the one currently being conducted. So 15 tomorrow. High expectations of ease and comfort. At least until I realize that I'm still on the course after 2 hours, then I'll start looking forward to Thursday's 12.

10.2 miles this morning in 1:09:58 (6:52 pace) HR 154. The last high aerobic workout on this particular course was 17 days ago (August 19th) with a pace of 7:05 with an HR of 161.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

If you're running 10 at close to marathon pace the day after 15 and two days after 22, you are really getting somewhere Andrew. I'm stunned by how well things are going, and I applaud you for not doing a back flip the second time off the high dive. Restraint (from pushing it with doubles at this point) can be a great thing, especially at this point in a program. It's also amusing to me when I can say someone is showing restraint while still running 100+ miles a week. I'm glad to see high miles and holding back are not mutually exclusive.

9/05/2006 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice run.

9/06/2006 4:25 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

You're clearly getting somewhere with this training.

Thanks for all the answers to my previous comment, btw. It's highly appreciated.

9/06/2006 4:36 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I've always assumed "1/2 effort" would just naturally be MP because 3/4 effort would 10k pace (or thereabouts). So when Lydiard has his runners running "at their best aerobic efforts" to me that means MP. What's a marathon if not an test of aerobic thresholds?

That's my unscientific idea of the 1/4 effort / 1/2 effort designations on Lydiard's schedule. 1/4 = easy. 1/2 = high aerobic which would equate to MP (current MP, not the hoped-for MP). 3/4 = fast.

I find this keeps the lid on the pot. Run at the level where you still feel aerobic but quicker.

9/06/2006 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home