Monday, August 21, 2006

I wear my sunglasses at night

Well I might as well have. I couldn't see a thing by the end of tonight's run. The cloud cover was complete and the Deep Cove Road was without a firefly to break the pitch. And the deer... the deer were holding some sort of clandenstine meeting that I joined accidentally. The clatter of hooves let me know I was uninvited. I didn't know if I should duck, dodge, or bolt. I couldn't see!

Really glad I got the 15 miler in this evening. Yesterday my right knee was a little sore from the tough 22 miler. I blame the course. I iced it, elevated it, and it seemed ok. However, I decided before I went to bed that I wouldn't run in the morning to be sure it was ok. A good call as the knee was not perfect and I iced it at work. I am ok with taking a day off - it is bound to happen and it is all part of the training.

My grandmother invited me out for supper tonight. So I sat and ate an extremely high carb meal that she is famous for and we chatted away. When I got home, my knee was fine. Uh oh. Now I wanted that run. Part of me was tired and wanted to just pad around the house. But the runner in me said "If it's not hurt, we train". I put on the running gear and jogged out there to tackle the 15 miler.

It took awhile, but I finally got motivated somewhere out there. With the increased mileage, I find it takes a little while to get "warm in the collar" and get keyed up on the task at hand. But once I do, the workout takes on real meaning. Another workout done in the long, long line of workouts needing to be completed to build my endurance and raise my threshold. I kept the HR down as suggested by Lydiard for the workout following the long run. The knee was slightly tight but absolutely ok to run on. I'm starting to feel the little aches and pains here and there. I try to be conscious of what's being worked a little too much and adjust or tend.

Anyway, by the end of the run, I was running effortlessly - like I hadn't run 22 miles the day before. I did get thinking about my meal I had just eaten. Boiled potatoes and bread were the main course and I am sure this contributed to the absense of any fuel problems. On easy days, I don't seem to have problems running right after I eat. However, on a hard day it doesn't work quite so well... This running effortlessly thing: this is one of the tricks to good training. I find there is a certain mile marker where I feel pretty good, running strong, yet getting a sense of fatigue - especially if I calculate how many miles I have left to do in the workout. It is imperative that I run through through this temptation to stop. No! How can I work the aerobic system if I stop before I've run the mile I came out to do - the last one? As long as the muscular and skeletal system give the green light - I've got to build those blood vessels!

At least that's the line I've been feeding myself. 15.05 miles in 2:03:01 HR 142.

3 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Your blogging has been as prolific as your running of late. I am envious on both accounts.

Do you think your grandmother would like to come to Geneva and do some high carb cooking for us before Wineglass?

8/22/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Your mileage is certainly very impressive again. Let's hope you manage to stay on the right side of the injury/improvement fence this time.

8/22/2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Well done Andrew, two good, long runs back to back. Take care of that knee and there will be no stopping you. I'm envious of your mileage as of late.

8/22/2006 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home