Tuesday, August 04, 2009

4 x mile

This morning’s speed workout went ok.  Not perfect since the right hamstring twinged on me in the beginning stages of the last repeat.  It was very similar to the twinge I felt on a hill workout with Eric a few weeks back.  I backed the pace off and ran the last repeat in comfort.  I took an ice bath when I got home.

 

Another hard time choosing where to run the repeats.  I didn’t want to run 4 miles before starting them so that left me without any flat options.  So I chose my beloved mile 2 on my standard course which is also the uphill mile 8 in the other direction.  I figured I’d run net downhill for two of the miles and net uphill for the other two.

 

The workout was 15 minutes warmup, short drills to loosen up, then 4 x 1 mile with 3:00 jogging recovery in between.  Splits:

 

#1:        5:05 (down)

#2:        5:26 (up)

#3:        4:55 (down)

#4:        6:11 (pulled up in the first quarter mile due to twinge – comfortable mile)

 

A good intense workout.  While running them it felt pretty hard, but after the jogging recovery I felt ready to do another.  The twinge on the last one wasn’t bad, but I worry that my inexperience with speed work will make me more susceptible to injury.  I’ve been stretching it and will ice it again tonight.  Recovery run tomorrow.

 

A pleasant cooldown in the morning sunshine made the total mileage 8.45.

2 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Yes, very intense workout. Now don't forget to do some stretches while reading Scott.

8/04/2009 8:09 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

you really are mental. uphill mile repeats... yuck. but at the same time, i wish i had your fortitude.

hope the hammy is feeling better after this morning's light workout.

8/05/2009 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home