Monday, May 11, 2009

Salvaging 9

Talk about running to how you feel…

 

An odd run this morning.  Mondays are my early day at work which meant waking up before 3am for today’s workout.  I was on the road at 3:45 for a scheduled 105 minutes.

 

I was slow.  Just didn’t have any pep and the miles were drawn out.  I felt ok and was surprised to see the high 9’s on the watch as each mile passed.  Usually 9 minutes per mile is my gentle pace.  But not today.  I was slower.  I ran the first section as an out and back on the highway and finished 7 miles at an average 9:41 pace.  A quick drink and I was out for an in-town loop to finish my time.

 

I was quite surprised at how I started to feel during the next mile.  I woke up and the pace started to perk.  The next thing I know I’m thinking that I can salvage an average 9 minute pace.  And sure enough, each mile passed with a faster pace and I was feeling pretty good.  Got in another 5.1 miles before the clock ended the run.  Average for the run: 8:41.  Average for the 2nd section: 7:19 with the last mile in 6:10.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

And the lesson is: sleepwalking isn't the fastest way to propel yourself forward.

5/11/2009 8:50 AM  
Blogger RICK'S RUNNING said...

3.45 in the 'MORNING' !!!

5/11/2009 11:36 AM  
Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Good training Andy. See you in the morning!

5/11/2009 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home