Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy Frozen New Year


Woke up to a very cold day this morning but no run for me.  My right ankle started talking to me around the 6.5 mile mark yesterday so I cut the run short and took today off just in case.  I'll try again tomorrow and it looks like I won't miss the bitter wind chills as the artic air is hanging around.  I've laid out every stitch of running gear I own to combat the expected chill.
Changing the template to a simpler version to try something new.  I am also going to try to post some more pictures this year like Mike does.  Perhaps he would like me to run like he does too but one thing at a time.  I'm trying some auto-posting via www.posterous.com that Ernesto mentioned recently.  I don't think I have quite the hang of it yet but I like it so far.
In 2008 my running was a see-saw as usual.  I had two good races.  The 10k in Orrington last April and PEI in October.  I am hoping to have two good marathons this year.
I didn't read the 50 books in 2008 like I tried but I got in 43 which isn't too bad.  The list:
1.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
2.  Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - Alexandra Fuller
3.  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
4.  Fast Track - Suzy Favor Hamilton & Jose Antonio
5.  The House of Intellect - Jacques Barzun
6.  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
7.  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
8.  Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
9.  Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen - Fay Weldon
10.  Science and Culture - Gerald Holton
11.  Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Rigler
12.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
13.  This is Reading - Frank G. Jennings
14.  By Order of the President - W.E.B. Griffin
15.  The Monastery - Sir Walter Scott
16.  Close Combat - W.E.B. Griffin
17.  Wild is the River - Louis Bromfield
18.  The Post Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge - Lyotard
19.  Run Strong - Kevin Beck
20.  It Takes All Kinds - Louis Bromfield
21.  Time Bandit - Johnathan & Andy Hillstrand w/Malcom McPherson
22.  The Two Cultures & A Second Look - C.P. Snow
23.  Early Autumn - Louis Bromfield
24.  Science and Thought in the Fifteenth Century - Lynn Thorndike
25.  The Black Dwarf - Sir Walter Scott
26.  Old Mortality - Sir Walter Scott
27.  Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
28.  Falconer - John Cheever
29.  Theory of Knowledge - A.D. Woozley
30.  American Scholarship in the Twentieth Century - Merle Curti
31.  Goodbye Mr. Chips - James Hilton
32.  Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
33.  Winds of War - Herman Wouk
34.  War and Remembrance - Herman Wouk
35.  Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
36.  Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
37.  Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
38.  In Secret Service - Mitch Silver
39.  Emma - Jane Austen
40.  Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
41.  Persuasion - Jane - Austen
42.  Lady Susan - Jane Austen
43.  German Thought and Culture in England: 1700-1770 - Garold Davis
Currently reading: The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott.  It is very good.
Mileage for 2008 was around 2300 miles.
Yesterday: 7.3 miles @ 8:42 pace.


2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. V. said...

Nice photo! Wow, what a reading list! I did love Water for Elephants...

Your brown blog is gone!

Happy New Year!

1/01/2009 11:27 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

"German Thought and Culture in England" doesn't exactly sound like easy reading *shudder*. It's an impressive reading list, though.

1/02/2009 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home