Friday, December 26, 2008

I have to get this clothing thing worked out

Checked the thermometer this morning and it was reading 20 degrees.  Checked the computer for the relative wind chill and it said 1 degree due to the NNW wind.  I opened the door to let a cat out and it felt pretty cold.

 

So layered I did.

 

And it seemed to work as I wasn’t uncomfortable and I scooted along at an average 7:50 pace feeling pretty good.  Two out and backs today to make up the mileage with water at the 7 mile mark.

 

But when I got home I was ringing wet from so much sweat and I found myself extremely dehydrated this morning.  I’ve been drinking copious amounts of water today and it seems to have done the trick.

 

I tend to dress for the first mile instead of the last and I need to balance this out.  The first few steps I always feel underdressed but over the course of an hour and three quarters I was cooking myself with those special ‘high-tech’ materials that trap all the body heat inside the shell.

 

Besides waiting until 7 miles to get a drink (which didn’t help), another problem is sleeping too long this morning.  I must have awoken dehydrated and the two cups of coffee this morning in the 30 minutes before the start didn’t do anything for me.  So starting a 13 mile run under-hydrated, overdressed, with insufficient water, at too fast a pace is not good.  Don’t do it.

 

The run was nice.

 

13 miles @ 7:50 pace. 

6 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

They say you should feel cold at the start of a winter run, otherwise you are overdressed.

As far as hydration is concerned, I guess everyone is different. I never bother with a drink during a 13 mile run, but I generally drink plenty of water beforehand.

12/26/2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Winter running can be strange. I felt under-dressed going into the wind and over-dressed going the other way today. Nice run.

12/26/2008 7:16 PM  
Blogger MB said...

If I run first my wife asks how was the weather even though she has heard it on the radio and read it on the web.

Just noticed this news of interest for you: http://runningblog.projo.com/2008/12/new-course-plan.html

12/27/2008 6:34 AM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I've been trying to tell you for years now that you've been over dressing.

Vindicated at last!

Oh, and don't forget: Cotton kills.

Hope you had a merry Christmas.

12/27/2008 11:21 AM  
Blogger Ms. V. said...

Merry Christmas, and congrats on your new shoes!!!

At least you ran!

12/27/2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger Ernesto Burden said...

I tend to get the layers right on winter short runs, but I get tripped up on long runs, especially in foul weather. A couple of weeks ago I went out in a windy, heavy, wet snowy afternoon and was cold the first mile, just right for the next seven, and then the cold began to settle back in. By mile 11 my core was chilled and I was starting to shiver - despite a 7:50 pace) to the point where I quit at 12 (instead of going the 15 I'd planned). I'm thinking I probably needed an extra layer to hold the heat in... What do you do with layers for weather like that?

12/28/2008 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home