Saturday, October 25, 2008

First run after the marathon

I was very excited about the prospect of getting out on the road again this morning. It's a good feeling to look forward to running as opposed to dreading it. I had to keep reminding myself that the mileage needs to remain limited to accomplish the goal - recovery.

However, no reminding was necessary once I got going. Even though the soreness was gone from the race and I felt like I would be able to go for as long as I wanted, the first mile brought to the forefront muscles that are still in a state of shock. Most particularly the left outside quad.

This muscle complained for many miles of the marathon as I ran through the pain. It now is asking for lots of time to recuperate from the damage incurred during the race. Today it was just noticeable - nothing to worry about but a definite reminder why it takes so long to fully recover. I could have 'kept going' as the mind wanted to but I played it smart and finished after 5k.

Other recovery issues were present as well. While running I felt tight all over including the torso. The race took a lot of effort and the effects are still with me. I think this will all right itself over the next three weeks for sure. The soreness went away in four days so I think the rest of the issues will clear up over the next twenty one.

In the meantime, I'm reading a lot of running literature to develop a training program. I enjoy this aspect of training. Dreaming is part of the fun.

5k @ 8:07 pace. Felt good, just a little sore here and there.

4 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Dreaming is part of the fun...especially when you've the skills to turn those dreams into reality as you have.

I simply turn those dreams into nightmares.

Continue the recovery and let me know when you and Mike head out for Boyden again, I'd love to join you guys.

10/25/2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

I don't have to post about my 1st recovery run now because my body felt exactly the same. Can we do Boyden in 2 weeks as I'm doing the 10k next weekend?

10/25/2008 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

No doubt any lingering soreness will be shaken off soon enough. I've also been reading up and formulating a plan. I'm predicting breakthrough marathons for both of us next time around.

10/25/2008 2:10 PM  
Blogger Grellan said...

Once you guys have a plan let us know. Looking for new ideas. Recover well.

10/25/2008 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home