Sunday, November 11, 2007

My unexpected MP workout

Next March, when I envision myself 'aerobic ready' after following 18 weeks of steady training, I will occasionally run some portion of the Sunday long run at MP. This type of quality is good aerobic training and builds a little stamina when combined with the higher mileage of the Sunday long run.

But somehow, here at the end of week three, in the month of November, I found myself running at 160 HR for the last 7 miles of a 17 mile run.

That Marc.

Marc will tell you that I only bring this on myself all the while causing collateral damage to all those around me. You see, what happened was Marc had to turn back at mile 9 - about 5 miles from the car by the shortest route. I know what your thinking, but no, with temperatures at 34F there isn't any way he could have frozen to death this time.

It all started with Marc's late arrival. He showed up near 10pm and I immediately gave him some fudge and wine to take the weariness off. Then we chatted and enjoyed the last of the bottle until midnight when I told him I must get to bed and all this talking would have to wait until the morning.

I bounced out of bed at 4:30 and did my normal routine. I woke Marc up at 5:30 and off we went to enjoy 17 miles in the fresh fall air. We had to leave early due to a time restriction that I had. The run started off wonderfully as we ran easily and slowly up and down the initial hills. A quick woods-stop for Marc at mile 3 and we continued on trading good stories and basically catching up with each other.

But around mile 8 he felt some serious fatigue - like something wasn't quite right. Another mile in and he knew running the long way around Boyden would not be a good idea. But I had to have 17 miles in today to get my 61 miles for the week and he kindly let me finish my workout.

Before I did, I gave him my jacket since he would be walking and he gave me his car keys since we thought that I would get to the car before he would. So he started back for the cutoff road and I continued on into the teeth of the wind.

I became chilled pretty quickly but this soon passed as I increased the pace. My mind was on Marc and a little worried that he would be ok. Walking 5 miles in the cold while fatigued would not be fun. I wanted to be sure I got to the car first since I had the keys. I started to imagine approaching the car and finding him lying beside it, frozen, all because I couldn't run 7 miles faster than he could walk 5.

So I upped the pace and I was pleasantly surprised to find some gas in the tank. I felt very smooth and in control and after 4 miles of up and down I glanced at the monitor to see 160 HR. A bit hard for a long run but given it was only 7 miles of 17 and for a good cause I could see no harm coming from it. Perhaps even some good as long as I'm smart about recovery over the next few days. In fact, I have already called my massage therapist.

I got to the car and raced down the Golding Road looking for Marc. My eyes scanned the ditches for his lifeless body. Instead, I found him walking quite comfortably and no worse for the wear. In fact he said, "That was quick" which confirmed that he was A-OK. Even though he didn't get much sleep last night, we still felt like this might be a sign of something else - maybe a vitamin issue. Hopefully he'll be checking in with his doctor soon.

Long: 17 miles in 2:21:25 ~ 8:19 pace. 144 HR.

Today, the numbers lie. I don't think I ran at 8:19 pace or 144 HR at any point today. But it makes for a nice average.

Week 3 total: 61 miles.


Blogger Love2Run said...

Sorry I missed (TTKM II) but glad I missed trying to keep up with you at MP. Can't wait for next March as we sharpen up for 'Boston'! Are you sure Marc isn't just overtired? Hope he has a safe drive back.

11/11/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Great run for you. Sorry about Marc. Perhaps it's because he hasn't updated his blog in a while and he has upset the gods.

11/11/2007 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home