Friday, November 23, 2007

Meeting the Faster Master

It had been a long time coming but I finally got to meet the famous Run Faster Master and have that heart to heart. His critical comments on my blog, while never far off the mark, were always a source of conversation among us Blind Moose or at the very least, the subject of some of my monologues the others had to bear on any given Sunday. So the only thing to do was to travel to his lair and see what his story was all about.


Well, we can all rest easy. He's a nice guy and knows of what he speaks. Fast and getting faster, it was a pleasure to hear him talk of his training and his goals. We ran on some nice trails that were a pleasant change from the type of surface I have been running on recently. The run made me think about getting Mike back out on the roads of the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge for some of our Sunday outings.

We jogged a 10.5 mile loop in 1:27:xx ~8:20 pace. My HR was 144 which still seems a little high for the effort. I think I have a lingering sleep deficit. The good news is I'm still running within the correct zones, even if the paces are slower, and accumulating the mileage ever so slowly.

******************

Thurs: ~ 8.1 miles in 3 stages.

*********************************

The Lesson

One of the highlights of the run today was a good lesson in Fartlek running. This is a method of running that I knew about but hardly ever incorporated in my training. As I told Mark, it's hard to do random speedplay when you know up front what you're going to do (even if you pretend you don't). What Mark taught me was a method of using traffic to create the random start/stop triggers of the Fartlek. We did this Fartlek work for about 1/2 mile while we were still 1.5 miles from the finish. A good way to end the run prior to the cooldown. I'm already planning on trying this on some of my workouts.

After a bagel and some coffee, I released him to a day of shopping that he had planned. Me, I went home to read a book. Oh, I did get out with my two daughters to the New England Book Fair. We bought books.

1 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

Thanks for the run good friend and best of luck in thy training to faster times.

You've got the look and presence of mind of a speedster!

11/23/2007 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home