Sunday, July 08, 2007

Run, Travel the Solar System, Run.



Right after yesterday's run, I hopped on the motorcycle for the 1st annual father / daughter overnight motorcycle trip. My father used to take me every year on a weekend motorcycle trip, and I am continuing the tradition now that my eldest is 9. We had such a good time!

This year, I thought we'd kick things off with a trip across the solar system. Well, at least the world's largest scale model of one. About 3 hours north of here, beginning in Houlton, Maine, we arrived at Pluto. We are happy to begin our journey to the sun!



You can see Pluto and its moon, Charon, on the plaque. Rather tiny, and safely ensconced in the Maine Visitor's Center. The rest of the planets as we travel toward the Sun are larger and visible from the road.



Neptune was found in Littleton.



Uranus at the Bridgewater Town Hall.



Rather hard to miss Saturn. The ringed wonder alone in a field.



The largest planet, Jupiter, was visible from quite away down the road as we approached.



After Jupiter, Mars was so tiny, we felt we needed to point to it. It was located at the entrance to Presque Isle.



Earth! Home at last! (Found at a car dealership).



Venus was tucked away in the parking lot of a motel.



And finally, Mercury!

We were so tired after our solar sojourn, we went straight to a late lunch and some used book shopping.

What else is up there in Northern Maine? Well,



trees and...



potatoes. (Notice the windmills too on the far hill).

Today, we rode a different route home which was longer and had much less stopping. Home in the afternoon, I lazed about and finally went out for a run in the afternoon heat. The plan called for 75 minutes in the easy zone (130 - 140 HR). No problem hitting those numbers today. The heart rate was high from the start. I think it was due mostly to the fatigue of riding for the past two days. I was feeling really sluggish.

Today: 4.96 miles in 41:20 (8:20 pace) avg HR 139. Slug.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Great model of the solar system. I know a certain 6-year old who would love to hunt the planets like that.

7/09/2007 4:28 AM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Cool trip! Neat idea with the solar system, from the looks on your daughter's face, it was quite obvious she really enjoyed it.

7/09/2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Adria said...

What a great idea! It looks like it was a lot of fun.

7/09/2007 12:48 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

What a wonderful trip. I see you always post your ave HR with each workout. Me thinks I need to add that column to my workouts and watch the trend.

By the way, I took your advice and have been running more often. Now I just have to make the runs longer...lol.

7/11/2007 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home