Sunday, June 10, 2007

A New Start

After the Cobscook 10k I had to take a few days and recover. Got a massage, and ran easily. Got a cold. Then I got an email.

Thank you Mike for your help.

Like my friend Marc, I've been thinking of MDI and how to tackle this one. After re-reading the Hadd article and some guidance I think (think!) I have a handle how to get my body to respond better to training. It involves tempering the pace while I build the capillary beds and mitochondria necessary to withstand sustained marathonHR paces for the whole 26.2 miles.

After my cold eased (my "medicine" didn't seem to help this time), I got back on the roads... to crawl.

Friday: 7 miles @ 8:36 per mile. 139 HR
Sat: 9.75 miles @ 7:42 per mile. 153 HR
Sun: 5 miles @ 9:05 per mile. 138 HR (hot out).

All courses hilly which really effects the heart rate just now.

It's a long journey to October and there's plenty of time. I need to build these necessary physical adaptations if I have any hope of getting faster.

I was planning for 20 today if Marc & Mike could make it down to Eastport. But neither could. So I stuck to my new plan which surprisingly, only called for 45 minutes today. A rather warm day (for this red-headed Irish lad) so it was no surprise the heart rate was higher and the pace slower than 'normal'. I don't know how people down south handle the heat. Usually, Eastport is socked in with fog and cool. Today I got out late and had to deal with 80 degrees!

Tomorrow - 60 minutes. We'll get those little cells yet.

****************************************************

On a mental health note: the Kawasaki is out of the shop and humming like a like new machine. This means the daily commute to Calais will be on two wheels. Ahhh... tough day? Twist that throttle!

2 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Sorry I didn't make it but maybe you needed the rest. We all seem to be a little off. Holidays around the corner!

6/12/2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger MB said...

yeh reading the Hadd article, again? me too!!

6/13/2007 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home