Sunday, July 15, 2007

Presque Isle Surprise

As I sit here waiting to meet up with Mike for the Sunday long run (or whatever he has planned) I thought I'd share my run I had yesterday.

Last weekend was my daughter's motorcycle trip. This weekend, my father & I cruised our bikes up into Aroostook County to look at the potato blossoms. Friday night we rode to Presque Isle. At 4am Saturday morning I was on the empty streets of that fine town getting the workout in before the day's ride.

The plan called for 90 minutes w/70 @ 150bpm. I wasn't feeling too much like an up-tempo run so I decided to run as I felt - increasing my pace as I could. This was a good policy since coming into town we came down a long hill (which meant my run would be going up that hill). I decided to run 15 minutes south and back for water, 15 minutes north and back, and finally 15 minutes west (and back).

I started out and was surprised to see my heart rate so low. After a mile I started the long climb out of town. Again, the heart rate just climbed to 138. I didn't press it however, I was just enjoying the scenery and the thrill of running someplace new. Coming down the hill back to the hotel I stretched it out a little.

8:39
7:46
6:59
6:41

Grabbed my water, jogged around the parking lot sipping, and then off to the south. The body was warming up and now the HR was hovering around 140 on the down and about 147 on the up.

7:16
7:01
6:49
6:50

I hit 150 on the way back as was surprised at how it good it felt to be running at this HR. There must be something to warming up! More water, another jog around the parking lot, and then west.

To my surprise, it turned out that to the west it was flat for 2+ miles leading out of town.

6:45
6:37
6:40
6:46
6:46 (pace for .77 miles to finish out 90 min)

12.77 miles @ avg 7:03 pace - 144 HR.

I'll take it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I think when the last 30 minutes starts feeling the best on these 90 minute runs it's a good indicator that you're getting the runs right.

7/15/2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

4am start? Don't know how you manage but now I realize how you find time to fit it all in. Those paces, efforts and hr's are all very telling that things are nicely on track. Keep it up and great long run btw ;-)

7/15/2007 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home