Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Successful Easy Run

No problem hitting the easy button today. I got up 10 minutes after the alarm went off so I must have been tired. Then the legs were sore for most of the run. (Didn't feel good until the last 2 miles). And it was cold out @ 16F and a strong west wind. Wore my super warm tights for comfort today as the lighter outer pair were still damp from yesterday's soaking.

90 minutes brought me 10.88 miles this morning (8:16 pace, HR 138). I'm feeling better about the whole run now than while I was doing it. No doubt I needed to recover from the double hard I accidentally did Monday and Tuesday. Tomorrow I will try to run at a high aerobic pace. Temps should be over 20F if I'm lucky.

Today was one of those days I wish I was back to my old 100 miles/week schedule. It would have meant 15 miles this morning instead of the 10. This desire was going through my head right at the end of the run when I felt the familiar feeling of the body warming up to the exercise and the easy pace was becoming enjoyable. Instead, the run was over and I had to rush to work. I think that was one of the secrets to the high mileage routine - you didn't feel good until the first 10 miles were over. Only then did it seem tolerable. This 60 / 90 business has you finish just as the blood gets up to the right temperature. But right now I wouldn't be able to maintain the proper effort levels. In time...

Today's splits:

9:36 warmup
8:11
8:37
8:09
7:53
8:48
8:03
8:01
8:00
7:46

Nailing the correct pace for these runs is more difficult than the hard days. It seems on the hard days, there's more of a limit out there and if you just approach it, you'll be fine. On easy days, the need to balance recovery, volume, and aerobic benefit all merge and it's not so easy to optimize the workout.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

I've been out of touch with blogland lately because of my injury, but very nice to see that you're training is back on track! Awesome man! After my surgery, we've got to get together for some runs.

3/21/2007 8:19 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

That's a new concept, the easy runs are hard to do and the hard runs are 'easy', but I hear you. Keep up the nice progression.

3/21/2007 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home