Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I'd like to think 152 HR is 'easy'...

But it is not.

This was proven out today when I attempted 60 minutes 'hard' - shooting for upper 150's / lower 160's for the proper target range. No joy.

Instead, what I got was my hat handed back to me with 8.21 miles @ 7:19 pace. 155 HR.

What it means is yesterday's easy run wasn't easy at all. Instead, I was feeling the deceiving effects of running briskly without discomfort due to the missing long run. So when I went out today, my legs were sore from the get go. The result? The equivalent of two 'hard' days in a row - an error in training.

To cure this, I'll lower my target range tomorrow to the lower 140's and run the 90 minutes easily. My splits today told a similar tale as my 'half a hard run' post a few days ago:

7:43 warmup
6:51
6:59
7:18
7:27
6:59
7:16
7:45 - tired.

My 60 minute course is not designed for steady fast running and I've debated changing it to take out some pretty abrupt hills. But I haven't yet. The MDI course (October's marathon) is oddly similar during the first 20 miles of multiple rises and falls of small hills. (After mile 22 there is a two mile climb which I cannot simulate).

Lydiard recommends flatter courses for the high aerobic workouts so muscular soreness from the terrain does not interfere with the training purpose of building one's aerobic capacity. Duly noted, but the temptation to mimic my next marathon's course (quite by happy accident) is very great right now. If the soreness in my legs continues or I start to develop a minor injury due to the hilly course, I'll switch to the highway. Otherwise, I think I'll continue to use the local streets since they're nearby and challenging.

These hills are not long or overly steep. There's just plenty of them and they mix up the course considerably. It takes only 30 - 60 seconds to ascend most of them. They simulate small surges while raising the heart rate for a brief period as I go up. All in all, I think there are benefits to be gained if, in the end, I am able to keep a relatively steady pace per mile throughout my run even with the varying terrain.

The weather was miserable this morning. 35F with an 18mph wind full of rain and snow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I don't think those guys in New Zealand could really avoid hills unless they were on the track. I say keep 'em, especially if you're running on heart rate. I think small but steady hills can teach the body and the mind control and discipline on the way up and relaxation on the way down.

My one mile loop that I use often for MP or tempo-type work is pretty much either a little bit up or a little bit down the whole way, which seems to be the way of most race courses. Works for me at least.

3/20/2007 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home