Friday, May 06, 2005

Anxious

4:15am

Recovery is going so well I am anxious to start the new program but I have promised myself to do 2 full weeks of recovery running. Wednesday I was able to increase the daily mileage to 10 and I don't intend to go below that if I don't have to. Last Tuesday I did 5 and I felt like I could go further but stopped there as a cautionary measure. Yesterday, Eric and I ran the Sipayik Trail out at Pleasant Point. 3 x out&back = 10.8 miles. Nice easy run and full of good conversation. This morning we'll go out for another ten, but I don't know the route we'll do. Routes are limited here unless you want to jump in the car and get off the 'island' & go up country. Yesterday the new fuel belt I purchased chafed me badly along the waist. I wonder if I had it on too loose. Boy was I sore.

10:50am

Went out for 10.1 with Eric this morning. Good run with diminishing soreness in the legs. Had periodic soreness that would show in the quads then migrate to the calfs over the length of the run. So far this week I have put in 36.3 recovery miles. Will rain this weekend but I will mostly like get out for a couple of more 10 milers to close the week in the 50's.

When I finally get to do my specific training I will try to do this format:

M 10 miles 1/2 effort ~ 7:11 pace (undulating course)
T 15 miles 1/4 effort ~ 8:05 pace (reasonably flat)
W 12 miles 1/2 effort ~ 7:11 pace (rolling hills)
Th 18 miles 1/4 effort ~ 8:05 pace (reasonably flat)
F 10 miles 3/4 effort ~ 6:28 pace (flat)
Sa 22 miles 1/4 effort ~ 8:05 pace (reasonably flat)
Su 15 miles 1/4 effort ~ 8:05 pace (any course = fun run)

Supplement with easy (pace <8:05) lunchtime miles. Every two weeks I am to include 4 "strong" 5ks, 1 "strong" 10k, 1 session of easy fartlek, and 1 session of 200 meter striding (4 - 8). These miles will be imbedded in the workouts mileage so they are not in addition to the above but rather part of it. The above times were calculated by assuming 6:28 to be my current marathon race pace (a pace just below LT) and using 90% of this pace for the 1/2 effort and 80% for the 1/4 effort category. Over time, I am hoping to see an improvement in "natural" pace when running a particular session. The plan calls for adjustment "according to runner reaction" to the stress (either up or down in pace or volume). I plan on doing this after two 2-week cycles.

I am currently comfortable with ~ 80 miles per week so this will be a commitment on my part to do the increased mileage. I have been out scouting out different courses to keep things fresh with variety. I have purchased a fuel belt so I can stay hydrated and I had two new pair of my running sneakers delivered. So, now to patiently conduct a physiological experiment on an amateur runner in Downeast Maine: can we make him a fast marathoner? What fun ha ha!

My plan with the aerobic condition phase is to keep this phase in progress until I see significant improvement in my LT. I believe that my LT is around 6:15 per mile or so and my marathon race pace is 6:28 (if I could last beyond 20 miles). So this fall, I plan on tapering a couple weeks before the selected marathon, but not do any specific meso-cycle training until possibly the summer of 2006. This year of aerobic conditioning should provide a good launch pad for some successful improvement with the speed & hill workouts. At least, that's what the literature tells me!

Here is an open question for those in the know: Due to the increased caloric requirement from such high mileage training, am I allowed an increase in my daily sodium intake as part of the increased caloric requirement? I ask because some food items like V8 juice has a lot of sodium and I'd like to increase my consumption of this and possibly some canned soups. Any help would be appreciated. Currently I try to limit my sodium intake to the USDA's recommendation. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home