Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Day 2 (after the storm)

Day 1 not being worthy of mention, today I hobbled out for an easy 5k (25:36) to give life back to my aching legs. After my overthrow at Boston I am anxious to start anew, again, away, anything. The next two weeks will be unstructured running for recovery purposes. Then beginning 5/2, I will follow Lydiard's plan for aerobic conditioning & development. I will post all the horrible details of my slog toward Boston as all the pieces finally settle in my mind. Until then, I urge everyone to move to cooler climates.

The 5k this morning felt good after 1642 painful steps. Then it felt like a massage - so I know it was the right thing to do. In fact, I wanted to go longer but I fear an after marathon injury if I push it to much. Might run tonight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

The link you posted to Boston did not show results - I looked you up and this might work: http://www.bostonmarathon.org/cfm_Public/2005/pg_AthleteTrackResults.cfm?&snap=36175382& [If it doesn't, the appearance for those of you who don't want to do the search is that Andrew left the race between 35 and 40K (roughly 21.7 and 24.8 miles)after posting a 2:49:xx at 35K]
I can tell you that hot sun and a cool breeze disguised a brutally hot day and think that got a lot of runners in trouble. And the fact that for many northeastern runners, it was one of a very few (if not the first) truly hot day meant that they weren't acclimated to the conditions.
Andrew, my hat's off to you - I don't think I'd have had the wisdom to stop.

4/20/2005 8:09 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Thank you. I did indeed stop at 23.6 miles after recognizing the signs of impending doom (shakes/nausea/etc). Very happy about the DNF decision as it allowed me negate the need for medical attention at the finish (if I ever got there). I removed the link from the above post - but my bib # was 3171 should anyone like to see the splits. I'll do a full report by this weekend when I can grab a few moments together.

4/20/2005 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, we had similar race plans and we both didn't finish...you made it _a lot_ farther than I did, though. I'm interested in reading your race report. It looks like you started out at a very reasonable pace, but it was a weird day. (Or maybe Boston is always weird.)

I am SO impressed that you could run today. I guess I theoretically could run, but I don't know that my quads would ever recover.

Good luck to you as you move on to your next goal!

4/20/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Andrew,
I echo Scooter's sentiment. Your victory in Boston was having the wisdom and humility to call it off before the strecthers came for you. And remember, after Paula's DNF in Athens she came back to take NYC and London.

4/21/2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home